• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Jacq's 1:35 adventure

Started by jacq01, March 26, 2011, 07:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Ian,

I use HO 6x1 or 8x1 stripwood for my mortar courses , and then runny plaster for the mortar .

I have also made a mold of a panel of brickwork that I constructed so that I can cast off loads of brick panels. This makes the job of covering a large area of straight brickwork quicker and easier . It just gets a bit tricky at the corners .

Jacq ,

I believe someone is producing a 1/35th Krauss in Australia ( not Bernard)but I can't be sure .

If I were building your layout I would set it either just before WW1 or between the wars because all of the locos you mention would have been used.

Quite frankly if I were you I wouldn't try and copy the buildings in the painting to accurately but just use them as a starting point and just try and capture the atmosphere of the scene . But then again you're not me and you like to do the job properly !

Nick

danpickard

G'Day Jacq,
I do recall when you first showed this image some time ago, so am pleased to see it surfaced again and on the plans table.  The introduction of a small rail inclsuion should be very feasible, with just a short and simple sort of farming tramway style thingy.  Very unobtrusive until the little loco does a lap, and yes, very adaptable scene to the small line running left to right across the "diorama/layout", out of the woods, across the stream, through a shallow cutting in the hill side, with a siding back to the mill sheds maybe.

It was Inscale Models (South Africa, but with an Australian homebase as well) that had worked on the 1/35 Krauss, but I'd almost get the feeling that would be too big a loco for the scene as I could picture it.  I see something like a little Simplex and a string of rugga skips in tow as about the right size for the picture.  As far as I know, Inscale didn't have any commercial plans at present for that loco, but I have heard some rumours that they may be heading towards RTR brass items as opposed to kits in the future (not sure how truthful that one is though).

Anyway, great to hear the hand is not dulling the enthusiasm too much (the unfortunate downside of those nerve type issues, is recovery is a bit slow and frustrating!).  I certainly look forward to seeing how this new adventure develops.

Cheers,
Dan

artizen

Jacq I agree with Dan - the scene would probably look better set in the early 1920s or 1930s so you can have something still in steam. Maybe a small rural style metre gauge line? Otherwise a narrow gauge industrial line?

Nick - I read your thread right through before starting my building and decided not to use the timber strips as I could design and print templates for the cardboard that matched the length of each wall so that I could cut bulk amounts of strips before starting. It was supposed to make the job quicker and easier for me. I assumed that two coats of matt varnish would protect the cardboard before using mortar. The cardboard is only a problem in places where either the varnish has not covered it sufficiently or is put under stress during the wiping off stage and is exposed to further wet applications of mortar - then it delaminates and swells etc. This one of the major reasons for switching the technique to a thicker mix and doing much smaller areas at a time. So far tests show that has more promise and reinforces the original thinking that I need to learn to slow down when modelling. I have access to a supplier in NZ who can cut timber strips to any dimension I require so that is still a backup plan.

So, Jacq, giving your thread back to you - I really am looking forward to seeing this one develop past the thinking stage. Knowing the standards achieved in the sawmill, this scene will be a work of art worthy of pride of place in your house for all the visitors to go oooh and aaah!!!!!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

pwranta193

Jacq,

Just in case you don't already have enough opinions from folks that have a clue as to what they are talking about (versus myself  ;D) - I agree with the "use the painting as inspiration, but skip trying to copy" - as you will be able to incorporate ideas and new stuff into your own version better...

While I am still a cripple at anything 3D, I don't see why you couldn't get pretty well down the path with a 2D start up... I use MS Visio, just because I had available due to work projects - but it helps to be able to play with the scale of the drawings as you try to get your 1:35th stuff "to standard", and is pretty easy to play with.  I know that you can also import many of them into a 2D (or have someone who actually uses 3D help you do it?).  I'm sure there are open source versions?  I too, still rely on graph paper and pencil drawings - but I'm staring the ripe old age of 51 in the face  ::)

Beautiful painting...
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

Chuck Doan

Sounds like a neat project Jacq. I look forward to your adventure and I hope your hand continues to improve.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Marc988

Hi Jacq,

good to hear that your hand is improving.

After we talked on ONtraxs in 2010 about the GTM and the 1:35 scale and some great input for 1:35 from Nick, I did some research on 2 different subjects for a possible 1:35 subject of my own. Shortly after, my wife and I decided on another project and decide to build a new house and all the modelling activities were put on hold.
I will send you a PM with some details which, I think, will be usefull for your project !

I surely am looking forward to the development of your project.

Marc B

jacq01

To taste occasionally modelrailroading politics, I attended the annual meeting of the dutch modelrailroad federation.  :-[ Enough to go on my own again for a year.  :D
   After the meeting a tour was arranged through the workshops of the Buurtspoor Museum, a remanant of the local railway network.

the locomotive, a former E 3/3 of the swiss railways

one of the two main lamps on the pufferbeam (electric)

the centre lamp (petroleum) lamp

a unique restauration, this is the last and only remaining car of it's class.

a german T3

a dutch shunting critter

a manual point lever

a small telegraph pole work train

the stations hand luggage car

after the meeting was finished, I went to the Oostendorper watermill to get detail information on fachwerk construction and waterwheels for my 1:35 project.

These details will be used to construct the erftmuehle.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Ray Dunakin

Very interesting pics, Jacq! Thanks for posting them.

I'm always fascinated/amused by the difference in style between US and European locos.

On that brick building, what is the purpose of the timbers in the walls? Seems like they would be a weak spot.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Frederic Testard

Ray, you may want to read this wikipedia page about this style of building : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_framing
Frederic Testard

fspg2

Jacq,

I remember a thread of an exhibition. The Dutch modelbuilder Jacq Damen showed the following scene.

Maybe it can inspire you a little!

Here  are some more pictures from this layout.
Do you know this provider of real stones in 1:32.

Furthermore, a speedy recovery for your hand!

Frithjof
Frithjof

jacq01

Ray,

the timbers carry the main structure supporting the roof AND the 2 mechanismen in the smaller building to grind the wheat and  in the second building support everything to turn an oilpress. The bricks are a fill in material between the timbers. This mill was built in 1544 as a replacement for an earlier washed away mill downstream. In 1566 the 80 year war started in which The Netherlands won their independence from Spain and the mill has been ransacked several times. In 1634 the mill was built up again and used till the beginning of the 20th century, when one of the waterwheels was destroyed. In 1931 the mill was used again but a large renovation was necessary as water had eroded the foundations and found it's way under the mill.
In 1987/1988 the mill was restored to it's original state from 1544. The mill is in full working order and operates between beginning of April till end of October every wednesday and saturday.
Every second saturday oil is stamped.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

Ronald

Quote from: fspg2 on April 10, 2011, 02:19:52 PM
Jacq,

I remember a thread of an exhibition. The Dutch modelbuilder Jacq Damen showed the following scene.

Maybe it can inspire you a little!

Frithjof

Frithjof, the starter of this topic (Jacq01) and the Jacq Damen you mentioned in your message are the same ........... ;D ;)

fspg2

oh, :-[ .... thanks for the info Ronald!

Frithjof
Frithjof

jacq01

Frithjof,

QuoteMaybe it can inspire you a little!
memories, memories.  

Building the 3 mills in H0 was a challenge in concept and use of materials. I hope the adventure in 1:35 will give me as much pleasure and challenges as the H0 layout did.

I have now sketches for 3 concepts.
  The old HP 5470C scanner cannot be used with my 64x laptop. I have to rig the scanner up with the old 32x laptop to be able to show the sketches.

Jacq

I am what I remember.

Ronald

Quote from: fspg2 on April 10, 2011, 02:36:27 PM
oh, :-[ .... thanks for the info Ronald!

Frithjof

You're welcome! :) ;)