• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Input wanted: weathering of flatcar (wheels)

Started by mad gerald, February 22, 2011, 12:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad gerald

G'day all,

just a fast update to show a little progress painting/weathering the wheels ...

... using the recommended Humbrol colours ... the "rust" seems not to be "dark enough" yet. In my opinion it should more look like i.e. Marc's spaceman/droid (sandsoftime) ... well - I'll see what it looks like when the wheels have got treated with a blackwash and eventually some artist's pastells  ...

Kind regards

fspg2

High Gerald,

nice to see you here in this fantastic forum!

greetings
Frithjof
Frithjof

mad gerald

Moin Howdy Frithjof,

glad to see/hear, that you are going to contribute parts of your finescale work here ...  :D

Freundliche Gruesse Kind regards

Gerald

Malachi Constant

Well, I'm glad to see we're using English again (sometimes!) ... wheels are looking good so far.  You might want to compare them to the actual cars (wagons) or other parts before judging the final color.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

mad gerald

G'day all,

Quote from: Malachi Constant on February 28, 2011, 10:30:20 PM
You might want to compare them to the actual cars (wagons) or other parts before judging the final color ...

... that's why I thought it would be worth to initiate a separate thread regarding the remaining building steps of that flatcar in the Modelles At Work section ...

Kind regards

W.P. Rayner

Hi Gerald:

Those are coming along nicely though I notice they look quite a bit different,and I think better, in the photo on the Buntbahn forum. Does that photo show them after additional work or is it a photography issue?

Paul

mad gerald

Paul,

Quote from: W. P. Rayner on March 01, 2011, 07:46:06 PM
... Those are coming along nicely though I notice they look quite a bit different,and I think better, in the photo on the Buntbahn forum. Does that photo show them after additional work or is it a photography issue?

... Sorry in case of having irritating you (and eventually other readers)  :-[ - the actual look of the wheels, with blackwash and artist's pastells on, is this:

I thought, as mentioned above, it might be worth a new thread 1/22,5 Feldbahn flatcar for 26,7mm track in the Modellers At Work section to report the final building progress there ... and I so only posted the actual pic in this new thread ...

Kind regards
Gerald

EDIT: link switched to my "old" modelling website, as I intend to discontinue the blog

finescalerr

The contrast, lighting, and color balance of the photos are inconsistent but even so I find little to criticize in the color. Nice work. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

The final color of the wheels is excellent!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

CN6401

Gerald,
I hope this helps!

-I start by using a chocolate brown exterior spay paint in the rattle can meant for painting over rust and paint the wheels faces and the truck side frames. I give it 24 hrs to dry and airbrush with a 50/50 mix of Dullcote and lacquer thinner.
-The next step is to apply with a makeup sponge, Winsor Newton Artist Gouaches, raw sienna, burnt sienna, raw umber, burnt umber and white. Start with the lightest colour first working to the darkest with a coat of Dullcote between colours. Gouaches are opaque water colours in a tube.
The trick is to get the sponge to the right moisture content using window wash fluid from your car to moisten the sponge. When you think that its just right wet it some more and then blot the sponge between two pieces of terry cloth towel or old sweatshirt material.
-Next is to load the sponge, I use a piece of ceramic tile and squeeze out about 1/8th inch of Gouache on the tile and dab the sponge into the colour. Then keep dabbing the sponge on a clean spot two to four time to even out the colour and then dab it on your wheels. It's almost like dry brushing but with a sponge. Because the gouaches are water based, if you don't like what you done with that colour and you haven't fixed it with dullcote, you can wash it off with a damp sponge and start again.
-Once you've got the combination of colours in place and you are happy with the results, dullcote it and give it a very light touch with your sponge loaded with white a just barely catch the edges for high lights.

I've attached these photos to give you an idea of what it looks like finished in HO scale.

Ralph Renzetti
Growing old is mandatory....Growing up is Optional

mad gerald

Ralph,

Quote from: CN6401 on March 09, 2012, 10:58:25 PM
I hope this helps!

-I start by using a chocolate brown exterior spay paint in the rattle can meant for painting over rust and paint the wheels faces and the truck side frames. I give it 24 hrs to dry and airbrush with a 50/50 mix of Dullcote and lacquer thinner.
-The next step is to apply with a makeup sponge, Winsor Newton Artist Gouaches, raw sienna, burnt sienna, raw umber, burnt umber and white. Start with the lightest colour first working to the darkest with a coat of Dullcote between colours. Gouaches are opaque water colours in a tube.
The trick is to get the sponge to the right moisture content using window wash fluid from your car to moisten the sponge. When you think that its just right wet it some more and then blot the sponge between two pieces of terry cloth towel or old sweatshirt material.
-Next is to load the sponge, I use a piece of ceramic tile and squeeze out about 1/8th inch of Gouache on the tile and dab the sponge into the colour. Then keep dabbing the sponge on a clean spot two to four time to even out the colour and then dab it on your wheels. It's almost like dry brushing but with a sponge. Because the gouaches are water based, if you don't like what you done with that colour and you haven't fixed it with dullcote, you can wash it off with a damp sponge and start again.
-Once you've got the combination of colours in place and you are happy with the results, dullcote it and give it a very light touch with your sponge loaded with white a just barely catch the edges for high lights.
...thanks for your additional input ...  :) ... unfortunately this flat wagon has been already finished, but I'll give your suggestions as well a try on the two bulkhead flatcars (which are on hold at the moment) ... except treatment with an airbrush, as I ain't got one and am working at my desk (or kitchen table) ...  8)

Quote from: CN6401 on March 09, 2012, 10:58:25 PM
... I've attached these photos to give you an idea of what it looks like finished in HO scale ...
... wow ... that's H0 scale ...  8) ???