• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Input wanted: weathering of flatcar (wheels)

Started by mad gerald, February 22, 2011, 12:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad gerald

G'evening all,

I am in the progress of building a narrow gauge flatcar (running on 26,7mm track representing 600mm gauge) from brass, sandblasted and stained by a modelling mate, treated with a little wash of rustall ... please see building report here ... unfortunately only in german (sorry for the inconvenience) ...

... now it comes to the weathering/painting of the wheels, with steel rim and an inner part of resin - so I can't use brass stain and don't have rustall or any artificial stuff ...

I read some of this threads concerning weathering techniques and have a vague idea of how it's been done successful und have the ambition to try it. I have some Revell/Humbrol colours and some brushes ... I don't have an airbrush, spray cans or other (semi) professional equipment.

So I kindly ask you to put me on the right track (i. e. some sbs thread I haven't found yet) or make suggestions, how I could reach a nearly finescale result with simple/few equipment.

Kind regards
Gerald

marc_reusser

Gerald,

I believe what you are after can easily be done with the paints yo have (depending on colors you have)....using only a brush and fine cell sponge. I have two threads that show this being used, but am away from the pc so don' know where they are at the moment. I will post the links for you when I get back in the office.

Two questions....do you have access to artist pastels, .....and what look do you wamt on the wheels...do you want them completely rusty, or so you want them to still have some paint left on them?  Can the wheels. E removed from the car for painting or will you be having to do it with them in place?  Do you have primer (Grundierungs farbe)?

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Leider hab ich nicht ein einzeles Exemplar das fuer den selben/genauen Zweck, aber ich denke du kannst schon verstehen was ich da so vorwerfe.

Zuerst also die teile die du bemalen wills mit Waschseife/Spuellmittel (nicht Handseife...die haben Oel, Lanolin u. solchen Mist) u. warmen Wasser waschen/reinigen, dann gut trocknen lassen. Naechst, mit gutem Maskierband sorgfealtig und dicht die Rollflaeche, und Flansh Flaeche die mit dem Gleis in kontakt kommt, maskieren/verdecken.

Der Harzguss sollte wirklich eine grundierung haben, aber wenn das nicht geht, kannst du vielleicht vor dem waschen die flaechen mit ainem Fiberglass Stift oder feinem Schleifpapier etwas aufrauen.....bin mir nur besorgt das die Farbe sonst nicht gut festhaelt.

OK...zu den Farben. Da ich mit den Revell Farben komplett unbekannt bin, verwende ich Humbrol fuer diese beschreibung. Die farben die ich brauchen wuerde sind #160, #113, #62. Wenn sie nicht genau die Farbtoene sind die du suchst/brauchst, kann mann immer etwas schwartz, weiss, rot oder gelb reinmischen.

Fuer Grundfarbenschicht wuerde ich die duenkelste (#160) brauchen. Diese Schicht kann in zwei methoden aufgetragen werden....kommt auf Bequemheit u. Kompetenz darauf. Lackieren mit Pinsel, oder tuepfen mit feinem Schwamm. Das problem mit pinsel ist natuerlich Schlieren, die mann dann spaeter moeglich sieht. Wenn sich diese schicht etwas getrocknet hat kann man zufaellig (randomly) mit einem neuem stueck Schwamm die anderen zwei farben auftragen. [WARNUNG: Nicht den Schwamm in die farbe u. dann direkt auf das RAD....immer den Schwamm auf Papier abtuepfen so das nur wenig bleibt...dann auf das Rad.  Dies braucht vielleicht etwas uebung...wuerde es vielleicht auf einem stuck Styrol ausprobieren.)

Das rost in diesem bild wurde so gemacht.(Skala 1:48)

...und hier sieht mann wie ich so mit demm Schwamm arbeite.

Dieses ganze Fass (Skala 1:35) wurde mit dieser methode lackiert. Insgesamt habe ich drei verscheidenen roestliche farben verwendet, u. eine leichte zwischen Wash von sehr verduenter "Preussiches Blau" Oelfarbe....dan noch etwas mit MIG pigmenten verstaubt (da kannst du auch Pastelkreiden Staub verwenden) [HINWEIS: vorsicht wenn du Humbrol vervendest und darueber so eine Wash mit Oelfarben machen willst...,,da Humbrol auch eine Oelfarbe ist greift die wash es an. Ich verwende immer Acryl grundfarben wenn ich spaeter  Oelfarben washes machen will....oder ich schuetze die Oel Grunfarben zuerst mit einer einer schicht von Acryl Klaarlack.]

Im falls du noch etwas ueberlassens Farbe an den Raeder wills kannst du es tun vis "Positive Chipping"...ganz einfach gesagt du nimmst einen kleinen Pinsel, und traegst die "ueberlassene" Farb Bitzen auf....so wie in diesem Foto. Da war alles zuerst nur die dunkele rost Farbe, das Rosa wurde dan darueber getuepft.

Hier nur fuer info, siehst du wie ich das mache fuer Farbton variation (auf dem Schulterschutz teil ist es shon fertig im gruen u. rosa)

Ich hoffe, all dies ist verstehbar und hilft.

Marc

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Doch!  Ist es meine Einbildungskraft? Ich denke, dass dieses Forum Deutsch geworden ist.   ??? ;D

Vielen Dank, Marc. Jetzt wo ist der dunkel Dinkel Acker?   (Das war mein Lieblingsbier zum Studieren von Deutsch.)  ;)

-- Dieter Malerisch
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

Gott in Himmel! Was ist happenink hier? Es ist ein Englisher Forum you Showen-sie-offs! Sprechen Sie English so das rest of us kann unterstand! -- ssuR

mad gerald

G'day folks,

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 22, 2011, 09:46:44 PM
Leider hab ich nicht ein einzeles Exemplar das fuer den selben/genauen Zweck, aber ich denke du kannst schon verstehen was ich da so vorwerfe.
thanks Marc ... your tips (or more: an SBS) are very helpful, your translation into german is also very much aprreciated by me ... but writing/reading english is OK with me ... as long as you all don't mind my kinda clumsy english because I don't use an online translator ... execept BRAIN 1.0 ...  :)

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 22, 2011, 01:46:16 PM
...Two questions....do you have access to artist pastels, .....and what look do you wamt on the wheels...do you want them completely rusty, or so you want them to still have some paint left on them?  Can the wheels. E removed from the car for painting or will you be having to do it with them in place?  Do you have primer (Grundierungs farbe)?

- yes I have some artist pastels now
- the wheels shouldn't be THAT rusty as I do not like these kind of "rustbuckets", but the prototypes do not have any colour on them so they'll get soon a little rusty anyway ...
- the wheels can still be removed, as I planned to colour/weather them before finally mounting them
- getting the primer on them will be the most tricky part, because I only can use the primer outside ... and we have -10 degrees below zero at the moment ...  :(

I'll follow your suggestions and try all steps on some pieces of styrene first ...

Quote from: Malachi Constant on February 22, 2011, 10:06:55 PM
Doch!  Ist es meine Einbildungskraft? Ich denke, dass dieses Forum Deutsch geworden ist.   ??? ;D

Vielen Dank, Marc. Jetzt wo ist der dunkel Dinkel Acker?   (Das war mein Lieblingsbier zum Studieren von Deutsch.)  ;)

-- Dieter Malerisch
:) :) :)
... you're talking about this one I guess ... ?!

Quote from: finescalerr on February 23, 2011, 12:37:07 AM
Gott in Himmel! Was ist happenink hier? Es ist ein Englisher Forum you Showen-sie-offs! Sprechen Sie English so das rest of us kann unterstand! -- ssuR
:) :) :)

marc_reusser

Gerald...your English is not a problem, probably better than my German (which BTW is also brain...not pc translator ;D...although I prefer Schweizerdeutsch ;) ) I look forward to seeing your results.

Russ...that's what Google translate is for ;) ;D ;D.

Marc

M-Works

mad gerald

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 23, 2011, 01:24:04 AM
Gerald...your English is not a problem
...thx ...

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 23, 2011, 01:24:04 AM
... my German ... which BTW is also brain...not pc translator ;D ...
... (I thought so) ... great! ...  ;D

Gerald

Malachi Constant

I learned German by drinking Dinkel Acker and watching Sid Caesar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0iMF6DWpo8

That's why only Carl Reiner and Imogene Coca have any idea of what I'm trying to say ...  ::)  ;D

-- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

BKLN

Darauf habe ich nur gewartet.

Christian
(ein weiterer German Show-Off)

mad gerald

Quote from: Malachi Constant on February 23, 2011, 04:38:08 AM
I learned German by drinking Dinkel Acker and watching Sid Caesar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0iMF6DWpo8

That's why only Carl Reiner and Imogene Coca have any idea of what I'm trying to say ...  ::)  ;D

-- Dallas

Believe me: consuming a certain amount of liquor enables some german people talking russian fluently ...  ;D ... heard it with my very own ears, but didn't understand a single word ... ???

Chuck Doan

Everything I know about speaking German came from watching Hogans Heroes. HO-GAN!

I would also think that regular paints should work fine on the resin parts.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

DaKra

Deutsch ... die Sprache von Goethe, Bier und Modelleisenbahnen.  Ich habe zwei Jahre in Frankfurt gearbeitet, eine schöne Stadt.  Der Kaffee war immer stark, aber das Wetter sucked! 

eTraxx

Three years in Germany and all I managed to learn is how to order beer! :) Speaking of which .. anyone else been to the Kreuzberg Monastery? The beer brewed there is IMO the best I ever drank .. anywhere .. anytime .. anyplace. I bow before this brew of the gods .. :)
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

lab-dad

I have heard that too, wondering/searching how to obtain some of their Hefe-Weizen.
Apparently the Monks only supervise now and workers make the beer........
-Marty, thirsty now!