• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:32 projects

Started by james_coldicott, January 29, 2011, 12:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james_coldicott

Hi All,

been a while since I posted here so time to update you on some of my 1:32 projects. Still concentrating on 18" and 24" industrial stuff so first up are some Hudson tippers like these...

james_coldicott

These are produced by Slaters...

https://slatersplastikard.com/wagons/32NGWagons.php

they are really nicely made kits with a nice combination of materials- white metal bases, injection molded tippers with etched brass details.

james_coldicott

I was able to get some reference shots of the inside of tippers that are currently in use at Leighton Buzzard recently. These are used to carry sand- interesting to see how the sand polishes the rust from the inside and how quickly they rust up again...

james_coldicott

Really like these slightly older tippers...

Gonna have to make some of these.

Got some structure pics which I'll post later and will get some paint on the tippers next week

James

Gordon Ferguson

Really appreciate you posting these pics James.

Timing is great as I am just in process of building some inside framed skips as used on the Thakeham Tile works,
they were also used to shift sand so these pics will help with the finish

bit bigger than yours .... 7/8ths scale
Gordon

james_coldicott

Hi Gordon...

nice tipper frame! I do a little 7/8 stuff myself on 32mm gauge-  Waril class Hunslet is in the works just now.

No doubt you have lots of reference pics but here are a few of an inside frame tipper similar to Gordon's for others to enjoy...

James

james_coldicott

...one more...

jacq01

I like that doubledecker. Typical english solution  ;D ;D ;D ;D

great work James. Thanks for the reference to the Slater tippers. Now the sawmill diorama is approaching the final stages, I have started planning something in 1:35.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Carlo

James -
You said "I do a little 7/8 stuff myself on 32mm gauge-  Waril class Hunslet is in the works just now."
Can you tell more about this project? Brass/plastic? electric/live steam? Any commercial parts?

I've always loved these little guys...
Carlo

james_coldicott

Hi Carlo,

the Hunslet is 12 volt electric. Stainless steel chassis with plastic pipe for the boiler and smokebox, cab and details will all be brass. Got some big chunks of steel for the rods and valve gear. It's been on hold and in a box for a while but I'll dig it out and take some pics. I'll probably turn some steel wheels and run them in brass hornblocks unless I can find some reasonably priced wheels. I would love to make a coal fired live steam r/c version one day but I am already spread too thin. The track is starting out as some old J.S Beeson O gauge but I'll cut new accurately scaled sleepers and just use the rail and chairs from the Beeson track

Just getting together parts and materials for the ex- Deptford wagons also. Will do resin axle boxes and the rest in Wood and metal.

This is definitely a back-burner project though while I work on getting lead free pewter parts out of the centrifuge and one piece wagon bodies out of the pressure pot! I have had an interest in the Sand Hutton Light Railway since I was a kid so am really happy to construct the loco's and rolling stock in different scales- the wagons were mastered in 1:32 for kit production but were lost, along with 6 figure masters and my planned Planet 10HP to an unscrupulous caster so everything will be made in-house from now on.

James

finescalerr

Guys, let me interject one brief off-topic announcement: James created a special painting for the cover of the upcoming Logging/Industrial Annual. You will like it. -- Russ

james_coldicott

Russ et al,

QuoteJames created a special painting for the cover of the upcoming Logging/Industrial Annual. You will like it. -- Russ

...at least I hope you do!...

So, I've made a little progress on some 1:32 stuff and had a rummage around old boxes of half finished projects...

My 1:32 output is split between a quick and easy 20 inch gauge layout and the more serious 2 foot gauge stuff. The 20 inch gauge locos are made on commercial HO chassis with plasticard bodies. The 2 foot gauge loco's are all brass with gearhead micromotors... rolling stock is similarly divided in quality. The idea behind the split is to give me a chance to quickly run trains while I mentally tax myself to get stuff done to 'finescale' standards which really does not come naturally to me.

here are a few bits for the 20 inch gauge layout...

The oil tank is embossed plastic over a plumbing pipe core. Brick bases are plaster, stained and finally scribed- all very much unfinished.

The Kerr Stewart has been shown here before but I finished a few details and repainted her. Also changed the beams and couplers to make her compatible with my tippers...

james_coldicott

I wanted to replicate overspill of water with a film of oil on it that I observed on a loco a few years back and was pretty pleased with the result- the oil refracts different shades which I ended up replicating purely with paint...

james_coldicott

another half finished project was one of the 18 inch gauge Bagnall locomotives from the Brede Valley Tramway. There are some pictures here...

http://78n18.laurell.nu/prototypes/uk/brede.html

This is started on an old riverossi dockside chassis with some new wheels prepared but looking at it now I may make a new chassis and use the valve gear and cylinders to give me a chance to re motor the model...

The wheels are Romford self quartering wheels with spokes removed and balance weights added to replicate a more typical Bagnall wheel.

james_coldicott

Also just mastered a slate roofing sheet. I've never found that paper slates accurately replicate the way old slate chips on the edges so bit the bullet a carved a sheet that I can cast off in plaster or resin. I've tried to add a very small amount of slate 'slippage' but want roofing that fits on a building that is in use- it takes a long time for fixing nails to fail. Really need to do a tiled roof too for a blacksmith shop I'm planning- there are lots of 1:35 options but none in 1:32...

these will likely end up for sale along with the next structure...