• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ale-8-One Reefer

Started by EZnKY, January 28, 2011, 08:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricklawler

Eric,

I just spent the past little while reading this thing from the beginning.....mighty impressive work, my friend.  I'll be following closely as you move forward.

Best,
Rick

Junior

HavenĀ“t studied this thread carefully until now - great work! I think the vegetation is just excellent.

Anders

EZnKY

Thanks guys.  This continues to be a worthwhile learning experience for me, mistakes and all.
I think I've figured out what bothers me about the weeds - I'm hoping to get some time this weekend to try a couple of things.  Photos to follow.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

I worked on the weeds a bit this weekend.  (Both in my yard and on the workbench.)  The thing that bothered me about the first try was how open and lacy the plants looked.  They were missing the density of the real plants, especially down low where it's almost impossible to see the ground.
To recreate this density I covered some polyfiber with ground foam and formed a blob to approximate the shape of the clump of weeds.  Once this was down, I glued very short pieces of the shrub materials to the surface of the blob.  I used the same ground foam on both the shrub material and the polyfiber so the colors would blend. 

The goal was for the weeds to have clear stalks at the tops, and then get more and more opaque closer to the ground, to the point where the static grass is completely obscured. 

I think the next step is to transition between the grass and the weeds, and to introduce some color and texture variations.  I used gray stalks for the first try, but more of a light green for the second, and I think the green is less jarring. 

So what does everyone think?  Better? Or not?
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

Here's the raw polyfiber before creating the blobs.
And the green shrubby stuff...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

nk

your weeds look just like weeds. This technique works well to to give that scrubby opacity you're looking for. Thanks for posting
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Malachi Constant

Ditto ... and nice variety of textures so far with the wood ties, steel rails, ballast, grass, weeds, dirt ... coloring on all looks good and cohesive.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

pwranta193

For me, the Shelf 29 image captures what Dallas listed... a nice congruence of the various textures, shapes and colors - a ton of depth done well that brings a simple scene to life.

Bueno!
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

EZnKY

OK, since I haven't heard a bunch of "gawd that's awful EZ" comments, I'll press on with the weeds.
Thanks for the feedback.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

finescalerr

Gawd that's awful, EZ! -- ssuR

EZnKY

Where's a corner when you need one?!
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky