• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

AMEISE ROBOTIC F.330 FRIGO

Started by marc_reusser, January 23, 2011, 12:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Under the subject of "IT CAME FROM JAPAN!"...last week I received in the mail one of Walter Pezzali's incredible 1:20 kits of this robot. I have long wanted to build one of Walter's new kits, and now I finally will be able to do so.  (Michaels last robot SBS, "Get a Room", was another of Walter's creations)

A few words re. an initial perusal and impression of the kit/parts:
This is a beautiful piece of design, casting, and fit (DML and Tamiya eat your hearts out)..it is also quite big...there is a lot of resin and weight in this kit, but for all the mass of the parts , there were absolutely no flaws, sink areas, air bubbles or distortions. There was also zero flash. This was really amzing to me considering how small the sprue gate blocks are (Each piece has a small one that needs to be removed, but they have been well planned and located, so can be done easily and neatly). Part fit as mentioned is the best I personally have seen, there is only one area that I can see that a visible seam/parting line needs to be adressed, the rest are al well engineered to fit at intended detail locations and as such become invisible. The kit also includes a nice fret of very crisp PE parts, and sheet of cool decals for the robot and use on potential diorama detail parts. The instructions (almost not needed) are a clearly illustrated and easy to read 5 step assembly process.

Photos and the SBS build thread are in the works..... I hope I can do this kit justice.

For more info and photos of this kit, as well as walters other cool models and such, you can go here:
http://futuristicmodelkit.blog135.fc2.com/

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

great stuff, a nice alternative to standard kits
   I like the anorexia robot.

Looking forward to see what you do with it....

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

JESTER

Sweet! Can't wait to see what you do!

-

marc_reusser

Finally decided on a color scheme for this build. The influence and layout for the colors came from the old Nash/Austin Metropolitan cars. Not yet sure though if I will do the silver parts using Alclad, or try using Bare Metal Foil. I have never worked with the foil, so I need to experiment with it first, to see what kind of results can be obtained, and how easy it is to control and work with.

Marc

M-Works

EZnKY

Awesome Marc.  My dad drove one of those to college.  Bizarre car.
It'll be interesting to watch the transformation from car to whatever...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

finescalerr

Marc, some "pals" in Texas gave me a pink engineer's cap several years ago. Would you like to wear it when you paint your model? -- ssuR

Mr Potato Head

Marc
The BMF is a pain in the butt! I didn't like the results I got when I used it, plus it's very expensive, it does work really well as a mask though. The guys in my local IPMS group use Microscale's "Micro Metal foil adhesive" (it's only $3.00 from MLHS) and they use it with regular aluminum foil, check it out. A friendly tip from MPH.
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Chuck Doan

I would like to try the Alclad sometime. The foil makes me nervous.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Mr Potato Head

Chuck
Alclad is no picnic either! When it's done right you get realistic results, but when it goes wrong, whoa,...... First your painted surface better be perfect, Alclad shows every last detail, so if you miss a spot you'll see it. I worked on a project as a trial and I sanded and sanded and then,..........  Not good enough so I re-did it and , not any better so now its stripped and  waiting for me.
The foil is forgiving if you make a mistake you can just peel it off , it doesn't leave a residue, don't worry a man of your talents can do it ::)
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Chuck Doan

Good info, Gil. But I think I will stick to rusty items for now-less stress!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

I finally got all the parts prepped and am now starting on paint.

I have already found that prepping and painting this is a whole different experience from what I have been doing lately, takes me back to the 1:1 product and automotive models I did way back. Because the model is large (1:20 scale), the ccompund surfaces of the body are pretty large and uninterrupted....add in the fact that this will be painted to be "newer" with a gloss/semi gloss finish...so things need to be smooth and well prepped....makes me remember why I build weathered stuff instead of shiny car models. ;) ;D ;D ;D

The only co-dependent assembly is the lower torso section; this is comprised of 4 pieces that need to be assembled before final painting, in order to conceal the only seam line on the kit.

However it becomes diffcult to paint the wheel as well as the recessed area around the wheel once assembled, therefore these areas will be painted first, then assembled, and the adjoining areas painted there-after.

This shows the parts with Mr. Resin Primer, and pre-shading. Because the final colors will be a pink and cream, I chose to use a reddish-brown mix of Tamiya for the pre-shading, rather than a black. The areas that will be receiving Allclad chrome paint, were prepped using Tamiya "Nato Black"

The wheels were also base colored with Tamiya "Nato Black", as it will work well for the chrome trim/rims, as well as for the future coloring/shading of the tires.

Marc

M-Works

JESTER

Now the fun begins!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

-

Bullmark

Quote from: JESTER on February 18, 2011, 12:06:35 PM
Now the fun begins!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

-
I guess the fun never started ahahaha did you make more than paint the wheels black ?

marc_reusser

Walter,

Yes..I did a good bit more....did all the AllClad, and had just started paint when the part fell of the stand and fell on the floor, breaking of a small chunk, in a somewhat tricky place,.....put the build aside because I needed to figure a way to do a clean and lasting repair...then didn't get back on it. Sorry....I will do.

Marc

M-Works

Bullmark

No worry,accident happen, I have the same prob with a kit sleeping in a box for 3 years.
I was just curious to see if you did more than the wheels ,you don't have to make it because I dust off an old topic ,I was trying to find who did the kits I sent to include them in the book I had to figure out the space the pictures will take .