• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Two-seat vault privy in 1:16 scale

Started by Scratchman, November 17, 2007, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

Here are 3 photos of my third privy:

Scratchman

Scratchman

Here's 4 more of the fourth:

On the fourth privy I used a no-paint technique where I used wood stains and pastels. I'll have a step-by-step soon.

Scratchman

finescalerr

I never thought I'd find outhouse models particularly interesting but yours are works of art, young Gordon! -- Russ

marc_reusser

An outpouring of outhouses.....a presentation of privvies....a calvacade of crappers!

Great stuff and great work Gordon! Look forward to the SBS on the new technique.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

John McGuyer

It would be a privilege to take a dump in an outhouse that nice.

John

RoughboyModelworks

Certainly the best looking kazis I've ever seen... excellent work as always Gordon.

"a calvacade of crappers"  ;D ::) - Marc, you've been into the solvents again...

Paul

marc_reusser

Quote from: Roughboy on April 21, 2009, 06:25:51 PM
Marc, you've been into the solvents again...

There's nothing like the smell of Xylene in the morning. (or in the case of the Privys...Methane). ;D

Marc

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Hell by the time you decided which one to use, oops you would have sh*t your pants!!!!

Most excellent Gordon.  Can't wait to find out how you did the no paint thing.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Scratchman

Guy's start out buy distressing a little or a lot. In this large scale I'm using a round battery terminal cleaner brush and a hobby knife. For the knot holes, I punched them with a short piece of brass tube. The nail holes are made with a steel pin.

I used both Silver Wood and weather-It on the privy. I started out with the Silver Wood but ran out before I finished. The Silver Wood are the lighter areas.(The doors, the back wall and interior) and the Weather-It are the darker areas. (the boards under the windows.)

Now using a HARD pastel running it with the grain pressing down hard or softly.

I applied a light coat of Dullcote from a rattle can to fix the pastel. There is no problem in doing any of these steps again if you need to darken the grain with the stain or add more pastel. After the last coat of Dullcote has dried , I did some light highlights on the corners without fixing the pastel. If this wears off you can always do it over.

The shingles are tapered using sandpaper.The grain is added with my battery brush. I covered all the surfaces of each shingle with a coat of Weather-It. After all the shingles are on the roof. I applied a few coats of Silver Wood. finishing with a coat or two of Dullcote. For more photos of the forth privy and some test boards go over to my Flickr page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Gordon Birrell

Younger

Gordon, here is a pic of a book I found a couple of years ago, and a model I built posed next to a page from the book. (Search Amazon under "outhouses" and this and several other interesting books show up).
-Younger, anothe outhouse aficianado
-Younger

finescalerr

Jerry, only you would build an A-frame outhouse. Odd though you may be, I applaud you. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Well...I have been resisting posting these here, but find it difficult to continue refraining myself since we're showing Pooper books. (so hopefully gordon doesn't mind.)

These are a couple pf scans from a catalog that was given to me some time back by our friend and collegue Jim Wilke.

Make sure you read the descriptions that go with the image.

Jerry should be able to find something among these to build.

There are probably still a dozen more in the brochure if anyone is interested...and if it's OK with Gordon.

Marc

M-Works

Chuck Doan

The Sportsman is awsome. You can have the runs on the run.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/