• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Fordson Railtractor Two Foot Gauge. (Yet another Fordson)

Started by 78ths, January 10, 2011, 01:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78ths

Hi
My two favorite rail-tractors are the Fordson powered and the Model T powered. Both variations are on the workbench.  The radiator is the biggest challenge and I am building the Fordson in 7/8ths scale which means it has to be scratchbuilt 100%.  I have the printed files back and will do an update soon with the castings from the molds. The radiator was done up originally in 3d and sent off to be printed upon which the scale fins did not work. So plan "B" which is the route I took, is to cast the rad shell and make the fins aka Chuck Doan's method of mylar layers. This makes having a laser cutter on hand a useful tool. I love the look Chuck achieved and will be happy if it turns out even half as well.

Here are the 3D files - I would post the printed parts and they are all done in high resolution white, which is a challenge and makes me think to hard to photograph it properly. (the downside when you take photos for a living, I'd rather be working on a design or a model in my spare time than taking pictures.)  I have four variations of rail tractors planned so I will get a justifiable use of the molds in the process.
Ferd Mels  Ontario Canada    eh!
SE Scale - all other scales pale by comparison.  7/8"=1'-0"
www.78ths.com

Chuck Doan

Oh my!

The fins I had laser cut worked really well, and were very easy to do. This will be huge!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

NORCALLOGGER

On the Model "T" powered tractor , are you doing the one with the pickup bed and iron rear wheels?
I just took a whole series of pictures of on this past summer with the thought of modeling it one of these days.
Later
Rick

78ths

Here are the two prototypes I am completing first. The top Fordson I had a friend machine the wheels for me to scale and cast in aluminum. The middle one is built by Hudson (which inspired me to redo my Hudson skips to scale.) the bottom image is the Crewe Works model -T rail truck as used in WW1. I have the radiator frame done for the model-T and will do the mylar fins for that too.

Chuck is the any particular type of mylar that you used. I have only been able to source mylar on eBay, have not found any locally.

cheers Ferd
www.78ths.com

JohnP

Ferd you said two prototypes but I see three different and delicious little critters.  Which one will be done first? And will they be motorized? Excellent choice for 7/8ths by the way.

That high-drivered model must put on some speed compared to the others, ratios or not.

Side question- so what does the steering wheel do? Something to hang on to going over rough joints and frogs? ???

John
John Palecki

78ths

Hi John - the top two (Fordsons) are both planned and started. The bottom image is the Model T Crewe works tractor. The Fordsons kept the steering wheel I think for driver comfort. No function other than a handle. On the Crewe Rail Truck the design allowed for the truck to be converted to and from a road <-> rail vehicle. That said there have been no recorded cases of a rail truck converted back to road use. Once a rail truck always a rail truck. I am planning on keeping the steering as working on the Model T.  Yes they will have a motor in them and be fully operational, although mine seldom get run, I love to build and running trains unless there is a lot of good steak on the BB and brews my attention spans drops rapidly.  :-[
www.78ths.com

narrowgauger

hi there 7/8th

nice to see these models in the making in the large scale and looking forward to seeing there progress.

with regard to the Crewe tractor you might be interested in an excellent article published in the Narrow Gauge & Industrial Review (approximately mid 2007) which dealt in detail with this T-Ford conversion.  I also have quite a file on this unit that I may be able to assist you with.

for the NGIR article I suggest you contact Roy Link direct, since unfortunately I do not have access to my copy at the moment.

also keep in mind that there are 2 excellent 1:16 die cast models of an appropriate Fordson tractor available that would form the foiundation for a scale, motorised version of these.

have fun & best wishes
Bernard Snoodyk

Chuck Doan

Some years ago, the NGSL Gazette had an article on a 3 foot gauge model T railcar used on the old C&S line. Apparently they re-enabled the steering linkage when they needed gas and drove it to a nearby gas station for a fill up.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

mabloodhound

This is the one on display in the California museum.

Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

78ths

Hi Dave
Thanks there are a few Fordson rail tractor's in the US - I missed that one. 

Hi Bernard
Thanks - I have nearly every published book, magazine and original photos of the Fordson (even original owners manuals) and Model T rail tucks. I have seen the 1:16 die casts and Chuck made the conversion absolutely stunning. I only build in 7/8ths scale and have gotten fussy in me old age.  ;D  I wish the difference between 1:13.7 and 1:16 wasn't so large and it is noticeable when you see them side by side.

thanks again
cheers Ferd
www.78ths.com

danpickard

Regarding the steering wheel thing...now I'm not sure if this was the same with the Fordson, but there is this desription on why some rail tractors still have a steering wheel on them.  This is how the mechanism worked for a Days rail tractor...

"the steering wheel operates the brakes and gives the
driver something to cling to on rough track. Steer right to apply them,
steer left to release them ... its academic really as, at least on the one
at Alexandra, the brakes don't work very well. They are copies of bogie bell
brakes between the front and middle wheels on both sides of the loco, but
the blocks are of cast iron. The drivers usually relied on engine
compression or the brakes on the load to control the train. There is also a
lever operated shaft brake on the final drive as a parking brake."

That information is from Pete Evans, who is a guy here in Australia with a good background in light rail research.  Plus, that rail tractor he talks about is at the Alexandra museum for 1:1 inspection.  Not sure if that was helpful, or just more confusing :)

Dan

78ths

Hi Dan
Thanks - very helpful bit of information. Really appreciate it .
cheers Ferd
www.78ths.com

Chuck Doan

Scratchman

The Nov/Dec 1992 Gazette has a good article "Tin Lizzies on Track" by Peter Hodge. The New Zealand Public works Department used Ford Model T parts to build 2-foot gauge locomotives.

Here's a photo of one I build in 1:16 scale around 15 years ago.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Ken Hamilton

That's a great looking scene, Gordon, and I like the B&W format.
Thanks for posting one from the past.  I enjoy looking at earlier work, especially work this good!
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/