• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Rhino or Sketchup?

Started by DaKra, January 10, 2011, 09:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sd80mac

Alibre Design has a sheelt metal function that allows you to build a part in 3D and then unfold it so it's flat with bend lines.

Donnell

Quote from: DaKra on January 16, 2011, 11:15:33 AM
Another question-- can either of these programs, or perhaps some other one, reduce a 3d drawing to 2d drawings for each surface?  Like convert a hollow pyramid into a set of 5 panels? 

In other words, is there a feature to create a set of flat kit parts from a 3d rendering?   

Dave

DaKra

Cool! Is that sheet metal converter available on the hobby version or just the professional?

marc_reusser

Quote from: sd80mac on January 16, 2011, 06:55:46 PM
Alibre Design has a sheelt metal function that allows you to build a part in 3D and then unfold it so it's flat with bend lines.

Donnell

Dave

Very cool.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mabloodhound

Quote from: DaKra on January 16, 2011, 06:59:23 PM
Cool! Is that sheet metal converter available on the hobby version or just the professional?

It looks like the Alibre $99 version has the unfoldable parameters http://www.alibre.com/products/hobby/features.asp.
I bet a phone call would answer your question.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

marc_reusser

Maybe of interest or relevant to this discussion...

DoubleCAD XT v3, is a 2D cad program that can integrate with Sketchup (and looks like other programs...or at least import and export directly to other 3D programs like Rhino).....and in doing so will retain all the 3D parametric info, and keep the objects created in the 3D app, as a block in DoubleCAD...lots of other stuff as well.

Looks like the Free version is a pretty good program that would cover the needs of most here. The full/pro version which saves and converts to a number of file types (including STL)...and has a good number of more intuitive and specialty functions is $700.

Here's a link to their home page: http://www.doublecad.com/Products/DoubleCADXTv3/tabid/1100/Default.aspx

here's a link to the Free/Pro comparison page: http://www.doublecad.com/Portals/13/new%20pdf/DoubleCADv3_compare_matrix_10-18-10.pdf

I have not tried this program, but may give it a test run (as an alternative to ACAD, for some of my work).

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works