• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The other Krakow Auto Repair in 1/87 scale

Started by BKLN, January 08, 2011, 12:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKLN

"Junior" is in the process of building a wonderful diorama of an auto repair shop:
http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1227.0

His work is excellent and very inspiring to me. I have been building similar kit and little scratchbbuilt pieces for a while, but I never really had a home for all the tools. After following Junior's  progress I got very really inspired to "put it all together". So thanks to Anders / Junior for his great inspiration.

My project will have two components, the building which is based on a prototype here in New York and a fictional interior. I really liked that Junior is honoring Dave, so how could I not name this project after Mr.Krakow, too. Dave has been extremely helpful with small projects. He has a great eye for detail and is a true master with his tool, the lasercutter.

My work focuses mostly on local structures here in my neighborhood in Brooklyn. I am very attracted to the post-industrial landscape. Most industry has vanished, but the neighborhood is still home to a lot of small, family run businesses. The prototype for this building is a perfect example for the gentrification that can be witnessed right now. The auto shop has been closed for years and set empty ever since. After a complete renovation, which left barely anything of the old decaying charm, this building turned into a fancy restaurant and a laundromat next door. Oh, well. The building has two storefronts. The right one used to be a tire fixing place. Since I don't know what exactly was on the left it makes perfect sense to have Mr.Krakow set business in there.

So here is the first step at the front facade. Build from Walthers brick sheet.

BKLN

The facade is pretty boring, so here are a few more, mostly scratch built pieces for the shop. I have no clue about machines and cars, so it is pretty interesting to learn what kind of equipment a typical auto shop needs to have.
So from left to right we have:
Battery charger,
Work bench with shelf,
Oil collector ( or what ever that thing is called)
two engine blocks
a brake disc grinder ( is that right?)
a box with spare parts
work bench with small drill press and car parts custom made by VectorCut
tool carts with VectorCut tools

It is really amazing how most contemporary shop equipment is red these days. Oh, I forgot to say that unlike Junior's project, which is set in the 30's, mine will represent a contemporary shop.

BKLN

Here is a industrial shelving unit with spare parts by parts and tire rack.

Junior

Finally! From what I have seen of Christian´s work this will be some kind of a New York garage. Why don´t you post a few pics. of the Parkview Terraces or Gino´s Autobody for those who are not familiar with your work. That shelf in the second pic. is outstanding. Could just as well be 1/35 scale in my opinion.

Anders ;D

DaKra

I just hope this Krakow guy is legit and doesn't chop stolen Jordans!  ;D     

Ray Dunakin

Looks great, amazing how much detail you can get in HO scale.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

BKLN

QuoteI just hope this Krakow guy is legit...
Actually, looking at the structure, he might be running some shady business. However, he will give you good deals on parts.

JohnP

That Krakow guy is slightly crazy but perfectly legit. He is helping me on some projects, helping to make them better especially.

Goodness that is some fine and interesting HO work. You're gonna need to make a Snap-On tool truck to park outside the shop so your mechanics can fill the tool benches.

John
John Palecki

BKLN

I actually found an image online. For discussion only.

Malachi Constant

I hope the white stuff I'm seeing in the doors on your facade are just temporary filler ... PLEASE model the doors in the OPEN position so we can see all the goodies inside!  (Great looking details!)  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

BKLN

Yes, I will turn the left part into Krakow's Auto Repair. Originally I was planning a retractable roof, but now that I choose a building with a second floor, I will just allow a peak thru the open rolling gate. But I think I will build the interior as separate slide-in element.

Christian

Chuck Doan

Looking good so far! Dave is doing some franchising I see.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

BKLN

Finally I found I little time to work on this project again. In quick sessions after dinner I was able to put together the four main walls and develop a general concept.

The second floor and the shop on the right will not have any interior detail to focus the attention on the left shop. My biggest concern was the limited viewing angle thru the left gate into the shop. Since I can't raise the roof because of the second floor, I decided to build a drawer for the interior that can be pulled out from the back wall. More on that later.

The green section shows the area that can be pulled out.

BKLN

Here is the overall view.

BKLN

But here is my cry for help. In shops like this, most of the electrical lines and pipes for the shop and the second floor would be exposed on the wall. I have absolutely no idea what kind of stuff would run along the wall, but after Anders' situation with the meter, I'd rather ask the crew here.
So if anybody can help out with some general information of what could / should be found on the walls, I would really appreciate it!