• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

RS-3 Kitbash FINISHED! Pics & video

Started by Ray Dunakin, January 07, 2011, 09:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

My 1/24th scale, narrow gauge RS-3 kitbash is finally finished! It's been well over three months since I started it. Here's what it looked like before I started -- a stock, Aristocraft RS-3:

And this is what it looks like now:

Here's a YouTube video showing it in action on my In-ko-pah Railroad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJvAk3onISY

And here are some more photos:

In addition to changing its appearance, I also installed an Aristocraft "Revolution" r/c receiver, a Phoenix PB9 sound board, and custom headlights.

This project took a LOT longer than I'd expected but it was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot along the way. Now that's it's finished I feel much more confidant about my modeling abilities.

There are a couple things I should have done differently. For instance, I didn't realize until too late, that the headlights are only slightly higher than the top of the handrails. I should have made the hood a little taller, and maybe made the handrails a wee bit shorter. Also, the weathering was originally intended to be a bit more subtle, but I had trouble achieving a "slightly dusty/sooty" look using thin washes of acrylic paints. An airbrush would have been more effective. But the final, heavier weathering was easier to achieve, and turned out reasonably well.

Many, many thanks to the folks on various forums who offered advice and tips, especially when it came to the electronics -- an area where I am typically in over my head.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

jacq01

Ray,

looks very good.
     It was nice to follow your succesful efforts.  Maybe a little more dust and/or fading on the horizontal surfaces, most probably the sun will help you there.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Looks exactly the same as it did when you started.

Well, maybe a little better.

Russ

Junior

Looks like the real thing to me! Bravo Ray!

Anders ;D

Malachi Constant

Hmm ... looks like ya lost a coupler ...  8)

Real nice job on transforming the proportions of the loco and adding a load of detail.  Weathering seems quite suitable too and shows up nicely in the sunlit photos.

Great job!
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

NORCALLOGGER

QuoteThis project took a LOT longer than I'd expected but it was a lot of fun, 
There are a couple things I should have done differently.

Ray,
Those are the very things that make it all worth while, it takes longer because you immerse yourself in the project and along the way discover your having fun doing so.  There are ALWAYS things we think we should have done differently,
no matter how expierenced we become.

The loco looks great, nice job of resizing and very convincing finishes.  But please fill that hole in the pilot ;) :D.
Rick

Ray Dunakin

Thanks! Correct Kadee couplers are on order -- I had tried modifying some that were on hand, but it didn't work out. Until I get the right ones, I'm using the stock AC coupler on the rear. It's huge but it still mates with the Kadees on my rolling stock.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

JESTER

Chuck Doan

Alright! Looks like a fine addition to the railroad.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ken Hamilton

I missed these "finished" shots until just now....
Beautiful job, Ray!  The pictures of the RS-3 in its natural habitat are superb.
May you get many hours of enjoyment out of this great addition to the railroad. 
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

clevermod01