• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Playland Penny Arcade

Started by Ken Hamilton, December 01, 2010, 06:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

Thanks Dave! Yes, some incredible work in that slide show.

Anders ;D

Don Railton

Dave - I saw Alan Wolfson's show in Soho a couple of years ago.  His 1/24 sidewalk scene (commissioned work that sold for $140,000) which included the adult book store, really captured the grimy atmosphere of the "bad part of town".  In my opinion, Ken's work is at the same level as Wolfson's.

Ken - Please keep those pictures coming.  I look forward to watching this build.

Don

Junior

Don, I agree this build could be just as beautiful :o

Anders ;D

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: Don Railton on December 05, 2010, 08:13:28 AM
In my opinion, Ken's work is at the same level as Wolfson's.
Thanks, Don....but not a chance.  Wolfson's level is something to aspire to, but his
mastery of miniaturization and the atmosphere he captures is out of this world.
He's in the same solar system as the Planet Doan.

PS: Progress reports will be forthcoming!
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

finescalerr

You are too modest. I suspect your diorama will be in the same league. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Ken

What an exciting diorama this will be.  Another artistic piece by one of the best.
Will this be ready for the CSC2011 show?

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

NORCALLOGGER

Hi Ken,
Remember it's just a hobby, no pressure involved ::) :P ;) ;D
When can we expect more pictures? ;D
Rick

gnichols

Neat stuff Ken!  Love the pin ball machines.  RE machines, "Wide Ruled Photo Studio" presents my crappy photo of a crappy model of a little ride-on gizmo like you see at supermarkets.  I'm sure you can do better, but I think you need to add a few to your arcade, eh?  I just found this thing again a few days ago... it was tucked away in a display case.  I think I used an HO kit, something like Highway Pioneers, that I got for a dollar at a train show, some brass rod and some wood bits.  I've recently seen another version of this kind of gizmo here as part of a larger and far nicer model scene but I can't remember who's work it was (sorry).  Gary

danpickard

Ok, so I've just been for a perve at the Wolfson website (thanks for the link Dave)...thats just insane, and I 100% appreciate the value of that style of work.  There is so much more to observe in a piece like that than I'll ever find in and 2D painting on a wall for the same price.  Thats just a personal preference of course, but thats an exceptonal display of an artist's observational abilities...off now for another look.

Cheers,
Dan

RoughboyModelworks

Really enjoying watching this come together Ken... great concept as always. And don't be so modest. Yes, Wolfson's work is amazing in its complexity and emotive power, but I believe yours is just as good and often better focussed, an excellent example of the less-is-more maxim.

Paul

Ken Hamilton

Pressure?  WHAT pressure???  :o

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys. I've been roughing in the rest of the building
with Gaterboard and have been playing with a couple of "mirror" ideas that will be easier
to show than explain.........
Updates soon.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

Ken Hamilton

Here's one of the mirror tricks I was mentioning.  Looking through the third-floor window, the viewer
will (hopefully) get the feel of a long hallway....

....which is actually this:

I'm not sure what it'll look like in the final scene, but we'll see.  Just something else to look at.

Meanwhile, the facade was roughed in with Gatorboard....

...then finished with "Sandstone" texture paint up top & styrene panels on the storefront.

After the old building's facade was "upgraded" with a 50's storefront, the hallway didn't
look right, so a rebuild was called for.  It seemed to make sense that the entrance hallway
would've been at least somewhat upgraded along with the facade.

Before:

After:
The buzzer was moved up closer to the apartment entrance, which made more sense, too.

Here's the new look for the front.  The door will be opened wider when it's glued into place.

More to come.  Thanks for looking........
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

finescalerr

I guess we now know what you did during your Christmas break. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ken Hamilton

Here's the first fire escape platform under construction...

It slips over alignment pins for test-fitting and what-not.  I'm a big believer
in using pins during assembly of any model......

Pins also hold the platform in place while other stuff (like the lower support
brackets) are cut to fit & attached.  By using pins, the whole unit can be lifted off
in one piece for paint and then realigned for final assembly.....

So far I'm happy with how this is turning out.  More to come - thanks for looking.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com