• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:48 Structure with Lean-To

Started by finescalerr, November 30, 2010, 07:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

I spoke with a pretty good fellow modeler last night. He has been trying cardstock/paper for buildings. He said he modified a cricut crafty cutter thingy so it is more accurate.  Then he found a software to convert CAD to cricut language. He cuts out window parts and sandwiches the clear in between. I'll get to see the rig and results soon. Sounds neat.

John
John Palecki

onl26

Very impressive Russ! Just as you said just abut anything can be modeled with paper.

Kevin

finescalerr

Frederic, your boat looks terrific. Please post more about it in the Maritime section. I would like to read all about it and see more photos.

By the way, I spoke to a friend of yours yesterday, Jan Kok, who had some very nice compliments about your modeling.

Russ

Frederic Testard

Thanks Russ. I think I'll post a topic about the building of the diorama which this ship will be a part of. I'll try to find the best section.
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

I am very partial to waterfront dioramas. If you have not promised it to someone else, is this something you would want me publish? -- Russ

Frederic Testard

The only person I remember I have promised it to is you, Russ.
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

Good, because if that boat is any indication, you are building one heck of a diorama! -- Russ

Frederic Testard

Russ, since of the main aspects of this topic is paper modelling, I thought I would share this half wall made with canson paper strips.

The paper was glued still white. Then I washed it with my water and india ink solution, followed with two somewhat randomly applied washes : burnt umber then white, reworked a few details with a bit of water and ink again, and finally used a pin and a thin brush to add hints of nails and rust (yellow oxyde oil paint).
Frederic Testard

finescalerr

Nobody would know it is paper from looking at that photo. Very nice artwork. -- Russ

MT Hopper

Quote from: JohnP on January 19, 2011, 04:40:37 PM
I spoke with a pretty good fellow modeler last night. He has been trying cardstock/paper for buildings. He said he modified a cricut crafty cutter thingy so it is more accurate.  Then he found a software to convert CAD to cricut language. He cuts out window parts and sandwiches the clear in between. I'll get to see the rig and results soon. Sounds neat.

John
Do you think you could get him to write up and photo his mod work on the cricut and tell us about the software?
Robocraft makes a pc controllable paper cutter, but, here in the Heart of the Continent, cricut at Michaels is the only thing available.
Cheers
Will MMii
From the Heart of the Continent

clevermod01

I've been looking at the Cricit as well. I was wondering about the resolution of the cuts. can you post any samples or more information.

finescalerr

The basic structure finally is complete. And why has it taken two months to finish? I was waiting for roofing that never arrived. So before I post the images of the structure, let's talk about shingles:

I use Crystal River laser cut wood shingles on my structures because they look wonderful. But Crystal River's owner, Tom Fitzgerald, asked me to develop artwork for paper shingles. I spent a couple of weeks or more tweaking various iterations and building up dozens of small samples, printed the "winner" on a variety of papers, and sent them to Tom. He procrastinated for a couple of weeks before laser cutting his favorite sheet and laying up a sample roof. He sent me a photo. My composite photo below shows both the wood and printed card roofing.

Tom promised to send laser cut sheets of my card roofing so I could decide what I preferred. (It would have been nice to have a 100-percent scratchbuilt model.) I waited three weeks for roofing that never arrived, finally gave up, used wood, and completed the model. I still have no samples from Tom.

Russ

finescalerr

And now, finally, the structure itself. It is all inkjet printed card except for the wood decking and shingles. It looks rather barren without details or context but that must wait for installation on the eventual diorama. Don't expect photos of that anytime soon; I first must build a few more structures.

Russ

finescalerr

I have mentioned earlier that this model is a "flat" so it has abbreviated sides and no back. Other information about the materials appears earlier in the thread.

Russ

finescalerr

Since the images are snapshots and nothing I would publish, I suppose I also should include the shot below. It shows the new structure next to a couple of others that ultimately will appear on the diorama. They are sitting on an unfinished HO standard gauge terminal I started about twenty years ago and probably could complete in about a week if I had any incentive. At the moment it serves a more practical purpose as a storage shelf.

Russ