• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:48 Structure with Lean-To

Started by finescalerr, November 30, 2010, 07:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Finally, the front wall, still under construction. It needs additional weathering, windows, doors, and trim. -- Russ

Junior

That looks like a very nice structure Russ and Happy New Year!

Anders ;D

Malachi Constant

Nice start!  Look forward to more ...

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

Here is the progress on the rest of the structure the lean-to leans to. 1:48 scale. All paper. 100% scratchbuilt. No paint. ... And the first shot:

Russ

finescalerr

Here is the second:

finescalerr

Now the third:

finescalerr

And here's the final photo:

TRAINS1941

Hey Russ that looks pretty dam good to me.  It might even make the book Westlake Publishing puts out ;).

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Junior

Russ, that looks VERY good.  Great progress.

Anders ;D

mabloodhound

Russ,
Looks good and nice to see you building.   On the double sided tape, the group on Railroad-Line have used the 3M 465 with great results.   Karl Scholz and the late Mike Chambers and many others have used this since 2006 with great results.

I started my card stock model last night to try the Lanaquarelle you sent me.   Prompted by your work and Troels Kirk's designs and hope it will be up to par.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ken Hamilton

Very effective, Russ.
It sure doesn't look like paper in the photos. 
Also, how'd you do the windows? They look too precise to have been hand-cut.
Unless your hands are far more steady than any of us could have imagined......
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

finescalerr

The windows are laser cut Strathmore Bristol Plate from my own CAD drawings, Ken.

Surprisingly, the printed paper doesn't look like paper in person, either, even under magnification. It looks like weathered, painted wood. The texture makes the difference.

Last year I discovered Lanaquarelle 180 gram cold press paper I had printed and distressed was indistinguishable under magnification from stained, distressed basswood. I showed the results to a group of picky Terrapin modelers and none could detect a difference. That was the Great Epiphany.

I use a different paper, with a velvety sheen, for newer looking boards and trim.

So color is one-half the battle and texture the other. If you mess up on either you destroy the effect.

Russ

DaKra

I like it a lot, too.  You were successful in another element to making it believable-- there is no noticable repitition to the graphic.   That can also destroy the effect.   

Dave

Frederic Testard

Russ, I find this wall very convincing.
You might be interested by this picture of a ship I am currently building in O scale. The hull is covered with canson paper, the wheelhouse with wood. While there is a difference since I used distressed wood, I think that on the picture the two sidings don't appear very different.

Frederic Testard