• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

D. Krakow Auto Repair in 1/87 scale

Started by Junior, November 29, 2010, 01:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior

Hey guys,

I have just started a new project in 1/87 scale "D. Krakow Auto Repair"  ( DaKra ). Dave will help me out with some detail parts. I need some help (if anybody has the time) with some interior pictures of U.S. auto repair shops from the 1930´s. Pictures of different buildings I have found quite a few but not many interior pictures. Your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Anders :o

Frederic Testard

I'm glad to see you at this project after what I mentionned on the furniture thread. I think you're the perfect guy to make the perfect model.
When I built my version of Chuck's Red Oak Garage (the Doan Valley Garage), I used many pictures on Chuck's Fotki page as an inspiration. But I don't know if you want to follow the same concept.
Frederic Testard

Junior

Thanks Frédéric and Pat. That picture with all the spare parts is terrific and will be most usefull. Have a feeling I have to somewhat reduce the number of spare parts.

Anders ??? ;D

finescalerr

Anders is sending me an article about an excellent, recently completed, HO scale railroad shop diorama for the April Industrial Annual. (He's also sending, separately, samples of those crackle paint wood boards he's been experimenting with.) -- Russ

DaKra

Hah, you know you made the big time in this hobby when somebody names their greasy HO scale garage after you  ;D   Thanks Anders, you do beautiful work and I'm looking forward to seeing this come together.   

Aside from what's on Shorpy, I don't have a lot in my files.    Here's one photo, plus a drawing which is part of a series of beautiful garage drawings online, by a French illustrator.   I know I found it through a posting on this forum, details are hazy though.    :-\   

Dave

Malachi Constant

Anders -- Looking forward to your project (and article!)

Dave --
1)  D'you know if that cabinet-enclosed-thingy in your first photo is or might be a heater?  Could use something like that ... hmm.
2)  D'ya have a link to more of those French drawings?  And/or name of the illustrator?

Cheers / thanks,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Mobilgas

Heres one i got of the web.......Lot's of shops had there tools on a board displayed in the open which i like ;) adds lots of interest.....the only problem is your going to have to model Lot's of tools to make it look right?  Out side grease rack would be a nice detail to.....  Craig
Craig

Frederic Testard

Frederic Testard

Junior

Thanks everyone for great pics. Dallas.....that "heater" is very stylish. Just a wild guess but to me it looks more like a radio! ???

Anders ;D

Malachi Constant

Oh yeah!  Guess I shoulda had my computer glasses on.  8)

But ... does anyone happen to have pix of portable shop heaters, similar vintage?

Thanks!
Dallas

Junior

Here is one version not really portable but still a shop heater. Modvid site - Sierra machine shop.

Anders ;D

PS. Maybe "the radio" is a shop heater afterall - just found this heater made of copper.

lab-dad

Western scale models makes/made those barrel heaters in O scale.
Would be easy to scratch in HO with a 55 gal drum.
Sorry but in Florida we dont have heaters in our shops so I can not give any ideas/help.
-Marty

Mobilgas

Dallas,      I believe the [cabinet-enclosed-thingy] is a Radio or speaker  :)   Craig
Craig

Malachi Constant

Yeah, I had a kinda stupid Fred Sanford "wrong glasses" moments on that first one ... (which does look like a radio) ... but that "hammered copper" heater that Anders posted IS a heater in a cabinet ...

I had done a few searches with minimal results before ... but somehow mistaking a radio for a heater has magically lead to a tangent that's helpful ...

For those interested in PORTABLE shop heaters (ie, not sure where it's gonna end up in the finished shop or space is limited) ... try searching:
-- antique (or vintage) kerosene heater
-- antique (or vintage) oil heater
-- miracle smokeless oil heater
etc ...

A few samples below ... the third one IS an oil heater ... but looks more like a radio, jukebox or refrigerator to me!  Dang it, Lamont, these ain't the right glasses.  ;D 8)

Cheers,
Dallas