• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Packing Shed

Started by granitechops, November 16, 2010, 02:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

granitechops

And as I had done a manhole for the water tank, why not do some not yet in use as props for clutter in sheds & on wagons etc, so used more styrene
Street drain in centre
modern pressed steel inspection cover on left
Cast iron diamond pattern one  on right
these are first efforts if the bug bites I may be tempted to do some more accurate ones dimensional & detail wise
Don in sunny Devon, England

granitechops

been experimenting with clay roof tiles, trying for moss clumps, think its a bit coarse a texture

lab-dad

I think it looks good!
May be a little thick?
Also needs to "leech" outward, not such an abrupt edge?

What did you use?

-Marty

granitechops

Quote from: lab-dad on February 22, 2012, 06:15:19 AM
I think it looks good!
May be a little thick?
Also needs to "leech" outward, not such an abrupt edge?

What did you use?

-Marty
The moss we get here is quite like pincushions in shape about 1" thick with almost vertical edges
The tiles were made from card tube & I was trying to hide the spiral paper joint, tried first with a squiggle of black paint to confuse the eye, but that did not work

So I next painted a wider area with acrylic dark green & sprinkled dried builders sand
over
BUT as the sand was a red devon sand it dried brown & even a thin green wash would not cover the dark colour

granitechops

So I made up a mix of green acrylic paint, white PVA glue, & as I could not find my fine powder filler plaster ( polyfiller in UK ) I used what was to hand, a left over tube of tile grout/fixer, this allowed me to drip it on & get a rounded edge to the moss, it also helped that I had preheated the roof with a hair dryer so that it started to dry fairly quickly without running
must see if I can get a pic of the local moss

finescalerr

I would guess the color in the photos might be slightly saturated but, if it is accurate, toning down the colors (including the black wash) and maybe using a slightly less coarse sand would put you just about where you want to be. Even now it looks pretty good. -- Russ

granitechops

Thanks for the comments,
Lump of moss photoed this marning in subdued winter light, blackbirds tend to dig it all up this time of year for nest lining, as you can see its a bit brighter than my interpretation, & quite lumpy. 
after thinking about it, I will try using a fine filler in acrylic to try & keep the irregularity in the surface but smooth out the sharpness, if that dont work I will have to find my fine sieve & revert to sand

granitechops

Found a decent pic of the moss I wanted to depict at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fudj/66512501/

granitechops

While doing the roof tiles I got side tracked by the look & feel of other Terracotta ware, so after a bit of rubber necking, I produced these chimney pots. My favourite is the very old ones that appear to be hand thrown & are slightly beer belly shaped. as opposed to the factory made ones that were spun cast, & thus more even

Also did a few spare roof tiles to use as clutter in the weeds

marc_reusser

Don,

I actually like the moss clumps, but I think your color is quite off. I would recommend you try Vallejo #079 "Golden Olive", & #118 "Midlestone", youcould also throw in some GameColor #035 "Dead Flesh"

...then shade and vary by adding in yellow or darker green.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

granitechops

Quote from: marc_reusser on March 04, 2012, 10:30:33 PM
Don,

I actually like the moss clumps, but I think your color is quite off. I would recommend you try Vallejo #079 "Golden Olive", & #118 "Midlestone", youcould also throw in some GameColor #035 "Dead Flesh"

...then shade and vary by adding in yellow or darker green.

Thanks Marc, couldnt see those colours on Vallejo's site so as to get an idea.
However due to my car packing up & having to be scrapped, & having to finance a replacement ( with wheelchair ramp this time) I am having to use what I have at hand, no expense allowed, so I have used a stone wash I had mixed previously, applied thinly & dabbed off again to leave small mini spots of variation, then did same with a yellow wash.
Not sure think I prefer it as it was previously.
Of course moss changes colour enormously through the year emerald green here in a wet spring, through to brown bordering black in the heat of summer
Mayhap I'll let it bide awhile till I build the support for the roof & see what the whole looks like, Got to look out some bricks thsat I KNOW I have somewhere?

Ray Dunakin

I think the moss looks a lot better now. But what are those two large yellow spots?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

granitechops

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on March 08, 2012, 09:28:07 PM
I think the moss looks a lot better now. But what are those two large yellow spots?

Ray,
the yellow spots are my attempt at doing these, I believe its a type of lichen that grows that colour when in seagull droppings of which we get quite a lot, in this pic the growths are upto 3-4 inches in diam. Due to the quickly drying surface, glass fibre skin roof, they are quite thin & flat =- pic 1

On the other hand this example in Pic 2 is growing on 1/2 in ply, which stays wet longer, and is where smaller birds poop on the roof of an old bird feeder table/house & is more structured & thicker, the moss here is growing in a crack in the ply that keeps wet for longer

granitechops

As you can see there is quite arange of colour difference & in fact when all the content of the "fertiliser" is used up the Lichen looks like it reverts to its normal sage green colour
Got to tone that yellow down a bit though, I think

artizen

This model is a fairly large scale? The moss looks like the texture you get with moss rocks used in florist displays.

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/ballmoss.html
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia