• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Packing Shed

Started by granitechops, November 16, 2010, 02:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

granitechops

In line with my change of direction thread

http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1183.0

I was playing with publisher & came up with some apple cartons, quite pleased with the result, ignore the work bench top, just picked up something  handy as a prop
but boxes need filling, which requires a packing shed
but a have a vague idea of a animated scene with roller conveyors,
but the conundrum is NEW boxes beeing filled would quite soon get wear & tear on them as they move around such an exhibit, & then not look quite right.
never mind cross that bridge when we get to it.
first is the shed. Not going to be a new build but an upgrade of a building already been used, as a store, then a workshop, and a photo background for SBS in progress
Don in sunny Devon, England

granitechops

When first built in 2002 this was my first attempt at large scale (1/12th) on reflection the stonework  was more mosaic than masonry

granitechops

But the over all effect was not too bad, just needs the mortar toning down & some weathering  adding

granitechops

Or could do one wall rendered & coloured up

granitechops

The interior having seen use for heavy engineering, will be in need of a fresh coat of paint for food handling hygene

Chuck Doan

In 1/12th scale, that must be a pretty large building!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

granitechops

Hi Chuck
from memory its about 30 x 22 inches.

Been having fun with publisher making apple boxes But got distracted by finding a Geest banana box in the attic.
As top cover is printed on white no probs used 160gsm card  & serndipily found an off cut of brown kraft paper, no idea what or even where it came from, but enough to get 3 A4 sheet out of, to make the bases.
I have in the past used hundreds of in real life & the real ones achieve that saggy dip in the top cover when the humidity is high  ;D  ;D

Oh & post script, that black line delineating each face of the boxes, now annoys me, & mark 2 apple & banana boxes now have them removed

granitechops

Mark 2 banana boxes

back to the drawing board, doh,  just noticed also lost the 'handles' when redrawing    :'(

OK mark 3 then  ::)   ;D

Ray Dunakin

These miniature produce boxes look great!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

Those are Great! Gives me tons of ideas
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Malachi Constant

Looking good!  Eliminating the line between the faces is definitely an improvement ... has a bit of a toy-like effect WITH the line, but looks quite convincing WITHOUT the line.  Bummer about the handles!  :-\

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

granitechops

No sweat Dallas I can hide them in a pallet load with mark 3s showing ends  ;D

BKLN

granitechops

You want me to go Bananas?????        :D

granitechops

Just realised those banana boxes are not complete, they should have a top & bottom sheet of very stiff brown paper with ventilation holes in, to stop the fruit falling out, piece of thin card  strip, cut, & folded into zig zag to keep the top sheet in place