• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Change of direction

Started by granitechops, November 11, 2010, 03:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

granitechops

Hi new boy here

I have been modelling for over 57 years, more off than on  with bringing up a family etc, since my heart did a hiccup in 2000 I have had more time for modelling & have developed a system in the garden, Narrow guage, timber/mining/ quarrying/heritage. with the emphasis on more realistic quarry mining scenery, more back ground than buildings.
I work in 1/12th scale mainly in the garden, which sometimes does not treat fine detail gently, however as I get older & less mobile & enrgetic I am turning  more to thinking finer detail & less output, & more inside layout/ display/diorama.
Been reading some of threads on your forum, and am looking forward to asking questions,  & picking up more tips in this regard, will still be running in the garden though

Some fantastic modelling on there, hope to benefit more from being able to participate

Deep pit quarry
Don in sunny Devon, England

darrylhuffman

Don,

We all get old and slow down in some aspects but continuing to model should help keep our minds alert.

I don't do outdoor railroading here in Alaska but do enjoy large scale.

There was an article in the Gazette about 25 years ago on a guy who did an indoor layout in 1" scale.  He had some great ideas and he was having fun.

Quarries are seldom modeled but they are very common in real life and the equipment can be very interesting.

We look forward to seeing your progress.

Have fun and party on, Dude!

Darryl Huffman
Anchorage, Alaska
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

Mobilgas

Don,  Welcome to the Forum :)   Have a good time and enjoy.         Craig H   AKA.....The Gas Station Fanatic ::)
Craig

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

granitechops

Hi All
Thanks Darryl, always been a physically active outdoor man most my working life, so heart prob & then Chronic fatigue was s o frustrating. But I must say that working round my physical handicaps, has helped me cope with initial feelings of being on the scrap heap, my modelling efforts, tho coarse by standards on here ( 10ft perspective?)  ;D   ;D have given me a sense of achievment & satisfaction, even tho they are virtually unimportant in the wider scenario of life in general. its not just the actual modelliong that keeps my mind alert but seeing things & thinking, "that would look good/unusuall when depicted in miniature"
Oh yes if I am not having fun I question why & how I am doing something & regroup so as to speak.
Having as a lorry driver been in several westcountry quarries over the years I have noticed lots of detail that has influenced my efforts to depict them in model form

Hi Craig thanks, I think I have a pic for you, guessing here but 1920s 30s Filling station in Devon, just had to stop & photo when driving by it,
My first real job was working in a similar establishment
well it eludes me at the mo, will put it up later

Hi Ray thanks

cliffs in winter taken this last January

finescalerr

When I published Outdoor Railroader and heard about the "ten foot rule" I suggested everyone replace it with the "ten inch" rule. I still think it's a good idea and it might be more consistent with the approach of these forums. -- Russ

granitechops

Quote from: finescalerr on November 12, 2010, 01:15:23 AM
When I published Outdoor Railroader and heard about the "ten foot rule" I suggested everyone replace it with the "ten inch" rule. I still think it's a good idea and it might be more consistent with the approach of these forums. -- Russ

Thats really what this change of direction is all about, while I have built individual rolling stock with working doors door catches etc, most of the wagons were shall we say, quantity rather than quality, being cash poor & time rich I have concentrated on scratch building sufficient wagons to look reasonable overall running behind my Garratt.

Now I have the challenge of upgrading existing stock/ building some new,   that looks good with the camera on macro ( which is 4" on my present camera) AND is robust enough to survive use in the garden

Gordon Ferguson

Gordon

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

granitechops

Thanks Gordon, Thanks Chuck

Finescale flowers   ;D

JohnP

Man I love a well-aged garden railway with the track on the ground and moss on the roadbed. Established plants, elevation changes, etc. Please more pictures. And welcome aboard Don.

John
John Palecki

granitechops

Thanks John

Moss in the road bed??

granitechops

So .  .  . trying to acheive "mission statement"
viz
"" that looks good with the camera on macro ( which is 4" on my present camera) AND is robust enough to survive use in the garden ""

With a leaning towards that earlier this year I did a batch of wagons. Now with a low reserve of energy due to the CF, I built one with fully opening doors for photo shoots & the rest without
in a bad week I also loose interest quickly as well as suffer from a lack of available energy [ I mention that, not as a sob story but so you can understand the reasons behind the way I do things ] So projects have to progress rapidly to completion (or 90% completion  :) )
Wagon No. 95   only partially weathered  as yet. sorry that is not a very crisp pic see if I can get some comparison shots outside later if it stops raining

granitechops

I love the way that outside, things weather and mature progressively in resonse to a preset specific set of circumstances, moisture or lack of, shade from burning sun or lack of it, shelter from drying/ burning winds  as here,
Disused Quarry? Has its own eco-climate? surrounded 85% by 48 - 60 inch cliffs

Ok so the figure lets it down, I did not have a fully sculpted worker to hand, just the semi action type man that is good for adjustable posing ( always making excuses this guy!!)

granitechops

Ok so 11 am on a November day & its not raining & its not cold & theres no wind, how good is that
So  outside with camera, comparison of wagons No. 95 & 87