• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Need some suggestions

Started by Younger, November 10, 2010, 03:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Younger

For the model i'm building I need to paint a wall (styrene) white and red, half and half. What tape or whatefer do you guys use to mask the line, and do you spray a little clear on the seam to prevent bleedthrough?
-Younger
-Younger

Ray Dunakin

Personally I like to use a good quality vinyl electrical tape.

Never heard of anyone spraying clear over it to eliminate bleed-under, but I have heard of people doing a light spray of the base color before applying the second color.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

DaKra

These days, unless the 1/1 scale prototype was spray painted, I brush paint.   One of the benefits of switching from ships and armor to civilian modeling is I don't have to clean the airbrush as much.   :)     So, no need for a mask if you're following the line of clapboard or brick.   Brushed results have a realistic "patina" for want of a better word.     

On the issue of spray paint "creep" its really only a problem if you go on thick and wet, as from a rattle can.  Then a clear coat can help.  With an airbrush, thin, light passes angled slightly away from the underside of the tape should not require the additional clear coat.

Dave   

marc_reusser

I agree with Dave on the airbrush application approach. If you use a clear coat or any heavy coat along the tape, you will end up with a thick edge/lip between the two colors....very unrealistic and unnatural.

As par as the tape is concerned, I really like the Tamiya masking tape, however, it has pretty strong tack, and on wood, this might cause it to pull up some slivers if not careful. I also like to use the "Friskit" sheets available at art stores.  I just cut the shape or strip I need....these are lower tack, but hold a nice clean edge if used as described by Dave, the drawback is because of the lower tack, they are difficult to work with and get into corners on things like clapboard.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

JohnP

It also helps not to spray directly at the tape edge but spray from the side the tape is on.

John
John Palecki

gin sot

QuoteI really like the Tamiya masking tape, however, it has pretty strong tack, and on wood, this might cause it to pull up some slivers if not careful.

I reduce the tack on overly sticky tape by sticking it to my forehead before putting it on the model.

Seriously.

Younger

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I'll play with a few, and let you know the results.
-Younger
-Younger