• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

RLF Shed

Started by eTraxx, October 28, 2010, 09:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

Nick, the 'history' of this building is that it's what is left from a larger structure. Everything else had been torn down long since and someone just used it. The lintels and corners etc. will prob be cast cement. That's the plan .. anyway .. that the brick structure was 'Orphaned' and then just re-used. :)
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

marc_reusser

Nick,

No,......what you describe is also what I know as a "Soldier" course.....what I believe I have heard referred to as a "Sailor" course is like the direction/orientation the bricks are shown in your photo, on the window sill, and in the arch over the infill openining window.  Basically a brick end, with the brick laid on it's side, to show a vertically aspected brick end.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

eTraxx

Being basically .. clueless .. I found this on the web ..

Ed Traxler

marc_reusser

AH!...and there we have it! I was wrong....err.....confused.  :D

Marc

M-Works

eTraxx

Dang. Glad it isn't just me .. I stay confused .. reminds me .. Sun is over the yardarm .. somewhere .. I need a beer
Ed Traxler

finescalerr

I had always thought a line of what appear to be "rowlocks" extending the length of a wall to be a soldier course. Apparently they appeared about every eight to twelve courses. -- Russ

eTraxx

Managed to get a couple of pics outside. I really need to work on the correct lighting etc. I need to take photos inside but darn it .. hard to beat that natural light. Anyhoo. I threw together a base and 'concrete' foundation last night. Nothing is anyway near finished .. at some point I'll get to weathering more. Still having fun. :)

Thinking .. a roll of tar paper .. with the paper wrapper thingie .. bucket of tar and a brush .. gotta Google tar paper roll or somesuch ..
Ed Traxler

finescalerr

Looks better with every step. Very nice work on roof. So far it looks like what might remain after a fire. -- Russ

MinerFortyNiner

Wow, that's nice, Ed!  If those walls could talk...they would probably say they're tired of holding up that lousy roof!

Quoins, so that's what they are called...would stone quoins ever be used with adobe/stucco?  It seems every masonry station built in Mexico seems to have them, but what about a stucco building?  I am laying out plans for an adobe/stucco station, and was thinking plain corners look, well, a little boring.  The rationale behind this structure is simple construction, but one building the railroad invested a bit more money and time in.

And how about fountains...could you have two quoins in a fountain?   :P
- Verne Niner
  "Better to light a candle than curse the darkness..."

eTraxx

Ha. Thanks. Yep .. I wanted it to really look old without completely falling down.

I did a search on Quoins when Philip mentioned them. Wikipedia talks about Quions and they say ..
Quote"Quoins may be either structural or decorative"
... it continues ..
Quote"Quoining can be carried out in stone on a stone building, with stone on a predominantly brick building, or by laying brick masonry to give the appearance of blocks at the corner. If structural, quoins are usually part of load-bearing walls; if decorative, they may be made of a variety of materials including brick, stone and wood."

Seems to me that since they can be used purely for decorative purposes .. then they could appear on any building. Up to the architect ... and that's you!
Ed Traxler

finescalerr

Sorry to interrupt but ...

Verne, go stand in the quoiner!

Russ

MinerFortyNiner

- Verne Niner
  "Better to light a candle than curse the darkness..."

marc_reusser

The big issue is what most people tend to think of or visualize when someone says "adobe".......they all think that implies the sort of free formy type buildings with parapets, flat roofs, protruding log beams, and roundy plaster corners......an well, that is so very ignorant. Adobe buildings range from the simplistic style noted above, to wonderfully detailed and formal looking slope roofed structures. If I can find the time I will pull some examples of the latter from my reference books.

Adobe is just a building material....it's nothing more than a brick of clay made in a specific manner.....and thes bricks came in sorts of. sizes.

I had the opportunity to renovate a beautiful and architecturally significant 1920's adobe ranch house in Tucson.....it was built in a semi formal Spanish ranch house style..replete with deep verandas, gently sloping hand formed red tile roofs, and all the windows were the old steel ones/type.....but unless you actually chipped of the smooth surface plaster or tried to cut into the walls you would have no idea whether the house was built of adobe, stone, brick, concrete, or even wood frame.

Marc

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Drifting a bit off topic, but here is another example of mud bricks in use:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imrickndakota/sets/72157594461781611/
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

okiecrip

once again ed WOW. did you get over the flux fumes
gary wise