Westlake Publishing Forums
December 06, 2019, 10:31:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: RLF Shed  (Read 24485 times)
eTraxx

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 11:58:52 AM »

Nick, the 'history' of this building is that it's what is left from a larger structure. Everything else had been torn down long since and someone just used it. The lintels and corners etc. will prob be cast cement. That's the plan .. anyway .. that the brick structure was 'Orphaned' and then just re-used. Smiley

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"
marc_reusser
Curmudgeon
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 02:47:52 PM »

Nick,

No,......what you describe is also what I know as a "Soldier" course.....what I believe I have heard referred to as a "Sailor" course is like the direction/orientation the bricks are shown in your photo, on the window sill, and in the arch over the infill openining window.  Basically a brick end, with the brick laid on it's side, to show a vertically aspected brick end.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works
eTraxx

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 02:54:38 PM »

Being basically .. clueless .. I found this on the web ..

Ed Traxler

marc_reusser
Curmudgeon
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 03:00:59 PM »

AH!...and there we have it! I was wrong....err.....confused.  Cheesy

Marc

M-Works
eTraxx

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 03:18:35 PM »

Dang. Glad it isn't just me .. I stay confused .. reminds me .. Sun is over the yardarm .. somewhere .. I need a beer

Ed Traxler

finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2010, 09:43:50 PM »

I had always thought a line of what appear to be "rowlocks" extending the length of a wall to be a soldier course. Apparently they appeared about every eight to twelve courses. -- Russ
eTraxx

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 11:57:51 AM »

Managed to get a couple of pics outside. I really need to work on the correct lighting etc. I need to take photos inside but darn it .. hard to beat that natural light. Anyhoo. I threw together a base and 'concrete' foundation last night. Nothing is anyway near finished .. at some point I'll get to weathering more. Still having fun. Smiley

Thinking .. a roll of tar paper .. with the paper wrapper thingie .. bucket of tar and a brush .. gotta Google tar paper roll or somesuch ..

* 1Nov_1.jpg (123.37 KB, 800x536 - viewed 404 times.)

* 1Nov_2.jpg (157.8 KB, 800x536 - viewed 405 times.)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 11:59:45 AM by eTraxx » Logged

Ed Traxler

finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 01:36:49 PM »

Looks better with every step. Very nice work on roof. So far it looks like what might remain after a fire. -- Russ
MinerFortyNiner

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 05:46:19 PM »

Wow, that's nice, Ed!  If those walls could talk...they would probably say they're tired of holding up that lousy roof!

Quoins, so that's what they are called...would stone quoins ever be used with adobe/stucco?  It seems every masonry station built in Mexico seems to have them, but what about a stucco building?  I am laying out plans for an adobe/stucco station, and was thinking plain corners look, well, a little boring.  The rationale behind this structure is simple construction, but one building the railroad invested a bit more money and time in.

And how about fountains...could you have two quoins in a fountain?   Tongue
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 05:53:23 PM by MinerFortyNiner » Logged

- Verne Niner
  "Better to light a candle than curse the darkness..."
eTraxx

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 05:59:38 PM »

Ha. Thanks. Yep .. I wanted it to really look old without completely falling down.

I did a search on Quoins when Philip mentioned them. Wikipedia talks about Quions and they say ..
"Quoins may be either structural or decorative"
... it continues ..
"Quoining can be carried out in stone on a stone building, with stone on a predominantly brick building, or by laying brick masonry to give the appearance of blocks at the corner. If structural, quoins are usually part of load-bearing walls; if decorative, they may be made of a variety of materials including brick, stone and wood."

Seems to me that since they can be used purely for decorative purposes .. then they could appear on any building. Up to the architect ... and that's you!

Ed Traxler

finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »

Sorry to interrupt but ...

Verne, go stand in the quoiner!

Russ
MinerFortyNiner

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »

Embarrassed

- Verne Niner
  "Better to light a candle than curse the darkness..."
marc_reusser
Curmudgeon
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 05:13:54 AM »

The big issue is what most people tend to think of or visualize when someone says "adobe".......they all think that implies the sort of free formy type buildings with parapets, flat roofs, protruding log beams, and roundy plaster corners......an well, that is so very ignorant. Adobe buildings range from the simplistic style noted above, to wonderfully detailed and formal looking slope roofed structures. If I can find the time I will pull some examples of the latter from my reference books.

Adobe is just a building material....it's nothing more than a brick of clay made in a specific manner.....and thes bricks came in sorts of. sizes.

I had the opportunity to renovate a beautiful and architecturally significant 1920's adobe ranch house in Tucson.....it was built in a semi formal Spanish ranch house style..replete with deep verandas, gently sloping hand formed red tile roofs, and all the windows were the old steel ones/type.....but unless you actually chipped of the smooth surface plaster or tried to cut into the walls you would have no idea whether the house was built of adobe, stone, brick, concrete, or even wood frame.

Marc

M-Works
Chuck Doan
Mr. Wizard

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 08:35:33 AM »

Drifting a bit off topic, but here is another example of mud bricks in use:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imrickndakota/sets/72157594461781611/

“They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details.” -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/
okiecrip

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 10:33:02 AM »

once again ed WOW. did you get over the flux fumes

gary wise
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: