• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Some stairs and stuff

Started by eTraxx, October 25, 2010, 04:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

I knocked this out for my buddy Gary for his HO layout. He needed a way for his LP to get form one level to another. Hey .. you gotta have fun, right?

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Malachi Constant

That's a neat little assembly ... railings and all look neatly done ... also looks like you've been having success with busted concrete at the bottom of the stairs.

Cheers,
dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

eTraxx

Ha. Dallas .. that's from the last experiment I posted up .. just re-cycled the pavement. Yeah .. the stairs and railings are Central Valley Models detail parts. Had fun building it and I think my buddy will be happy with it installed on his layout.
Ed Traxler

Ray Dunakin

Looks good! I like the metal railings.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I hope the rest of his layout is as good as your little diorama. Did your camera saturate the colors? If I were to print the photo I would have desaturated them a little. -- Russ

eTraxx

Russ. Affirmative .. in 'real' life the colors are more muted. I'll try and desaturate them .. there was something bothering me about the photo .. thanks for pointing that out. So. I went back and desaturated the photo .. moving the slider until the photo resembled the actual model. One thing it tells me looking at the photo is that I need to work on my photography. I took the photo using my version of the simple coved stage that Marc described building .. I need to make one a little larger as I keep having difficulty in getting only the model in the camera view. It's always interesting when looking at a photo as it shows all the warts. I'm pretty happy though .. warts and all as this is intended to be a 'working' model on a buddy's layout.

Here's the photo desaturated .. much better and another

Ed Traxler

DaKra

I like the weathering and paint flaking on the wooden beams, it reminds me of that steamboat photo I posted this week, where the paint had chipped away from the hull, reavealing very dark, water-stained wood underneath.   Any special technique?

eTraxx

Not really. I used a Iron Buff mix to gray the wood .. wasn't dark enough so I used some AI stain. Got a little too dark (need to make up a new mix) .. one reason I went with the white paint .. for contrast. I just used the hairspray technique .. TRESemmé that I picked up at the Dollar store. Couple coats of that, then a white Createx  acrylic. I just followed the tips and techniques as explained and linked to on this forum. When that was dry .. some water, stiff brush and toothpick. Won't be using that Createx again .. when I was 'chipping' it .. it kept trying to fall off in strips .. need to find something that has less binder?
Ed Traxler

finescalerr

The coloration now looks much better and there is little one could criticize in the modeling or finish. Your buddy is lucky to have you as a friend. -- Russ

Mobilgas

Ed,    Nice job..... a lot going on in such a small scene ;)    Craig H      aka    Mobilgas
Craig

okiecrip

thank you very much ed for the wonderful new addition to my layout. you are a real artist and a good friend.

gary
gary wise

marc_reusser

Ed,

Sorry I missed this here...I was watching on FB. Neat project with good results. I like that you re-did the coloring on the stairs..all works together now. I also really like your cracked pavement result.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works