• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Stucco Texture in HO

Started by DaKra, October 15, 2010, 01:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I think the grime effect looks great! Again, a good subtle effect.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

JohnP

Bravo Dave. Simple technique with common materials, no need to look too hard or import some exotic stuff. It is all in the hands of the modeler. But it can be practiced endlessly on any scrap before applying it to the final model. I wish we could see more stuff like this.

I want to see it in context with other colors, materials, objects and finishes.

John
John Palecki

DaKra

Structure is done, just needs some concrete stoops before its dropped into its diorama.   Decided not to dry brush it, looked OK and didn't want to risk a "cake frosting" effect. 

JohnP

Very nice to see Dave. Believable without being over the top. It will blend into the diorama well. The lettering and sign look great. It worked out very well.

So now I have to see it in the diorama. ;D

John
John Palecki

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Malachi Constant

Dave --

Once again, quite impressive ... especially with the very subtle discolorations under the overhangs, etc.  Some really exquisite work you've got going here.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

BKLN

Dave,
I know how long you have been playing around with this project, so I am happy to see this thing becoming reality. This simple, yet beautiful structure will provide a great stage for the other details like the gas pumps. Very nice!

DaKra

Thanks guys.   Ya know, the more I look at it, the more I'm convinced the original was a Shell station!   Now I must resist the urge to start over!   :-\     

Dave

MinerFortyNiner

Very nice execution of a subtle texture, stucco is tricky to replicate, especially in smaller scales.  I really like the structure, whether or not there's an 'inner Shell' in there!

What is the structure's origin, did you have it cut or do it yourself, or is it a kit?  I am curious, because its general architecture and size would work in O scale on my layout.
- Verne Niner
  "Better to light a candle than curse the darkness..."

DaKra

Yes, stucco looks very simple but it can be difficult if its rushed into without a proven method.  I spent a frustrating day last year mucking around with gesso and plaster and whatnot.  I plan to try this in 1/35 next year, probably will only need the paint and Durham's mix, without sanding and spray paint to reduce it to something more appropriate for 1/87. 

The basis for the structure is a photo I found in a book, reconstructed a set of plans for it in Adobe, based on typical measurements (e.g. door width and height) backdated the windows to something more typical of the era, etc.   Broke the diagram down into kit parts, and laser cut those myself.   I have a modern Taco stand version of this in the works.     

Dave

DaKra

Just a little followup on this. The prototype model has been made into a limited edition VectorCut kit, as a Shell station.    As it turned out, the .02" material I use for the kit's exterior walls has a perfect HO scale stucco texture to it, so nothing is needed except a brush coat of white paint.    In future if I need a fine stucco texture, this will be my first choice over anything hand applied.    

Dave