Using microscope cover slips for glazing material is certainly not a new idea, and I early on decided to use the stuff for my 0 scale engine windows.
But my first efforts to cut the stuff were appalling.
So I have really dreaded cutting the 16 pieces of glazing I need for my two engines under costruction.
But when I sat down to tackle the task the other night, I did a bit of thinking before plunging ahead.
First, I decided to try a much harder cutting surface. My first attempts were made on a self-healing cutting mat, the next on a paper with the cutting lines printed on it. Rejection rates were extremly high, I broke almost every piece I tried to cut.
So this time I used Corian, but any other really flat and hard material should work (a piece of thick glass).
Since all my windows are the same size, I made a simple cutting jig to speed things up.
And, boy, what a difference a little thinking can make! I made the first 8 windows in around 30 minutes, breaking just a couple of slips.
The process in more details:
The width (and height as my windows are square) was carefully drawn with a sharp, hard pencil on the corian.
Then a ruler was placed against one of the lines and taped on the other side to make it "hinged":
Under the ruler a short length of brass L-channel is superglued to the corian flush with the other line:
Now it is possible to place a coverslide up against the brass channel, lower the ruler and hold the glass in the exact position for cutting:
This way it was possible to make 20 pieces of glass to the exact same size without measuring more than one (the masking-tape hinge is suprisingly precise):
Here is the result, glazing for 16 windows with 4 spare pieces:
If all dreaded jobs could turn out so easy in the end!