Westlake Publishing Forums
February 23, 2020, 07:39:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:     REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Home   Help Search Login  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Quickie Cooler Projectů  (Read 19379 times)
RoughboyModelworks
« on: September 11, 2010, 05:54:13 PM »

Been working on this little 1:48 cooler project today as an added detail for the Clyde's Place pilot model diorama. This cooler was already on the diorama, but I was never entirely happy with it, so I stripped it and and began reworking it. Picture below is photo I'm using for color and wear reference (slightly different cooler but close enough).

First thing I did was add the drain pipe, made from a short length of .020" dia. brass tubing. Then I added the ribs along the bottom using a piece of Campbells old HO scale corrugated aluminum. I burnished the edges down to recreate the shape of the ribs.

Next step was to dish the hatch covers, make it looks perhaps like somebody sat on them. Started this by using a small ball dental cutter in the die grinder to create a hollow, followed by some work with a selection of rifflers to smooth the contours. I added a couple of small dents along the edges. This was followed by a blast of abrasive to remove remaining file marks, then soda blasting with the air eraser.

Then to finish up today I sprayed on the base rust coat... random dirty mix of Roof Brown, Black, UP Yellow and dirty Dio Sol. Next step is to finish the rust layer with a salt treatment and lighter shade of rust.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:52:47 PM by Roughboy » Logged
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 02:14:34 AM »

Nice work. How did you take the photo of both your hands working on the model? (Let me guess: Tripod and ten second delay? Wife?) -- Russ
james_coldicott

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 06:41:32 AM »

How did you take the photo of both your hands working on the model? (Let me guess: Tripod and ten second delay? Wife?)

...perhaps we are finding out how Paul does such great work... yes... he has three arms!

Wink
Ken Hamilton

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 08:01:07 AM »

Paul just put the COOL in Cooler. 
What a great detail.  The dimpled top is a great touch!

RoughboyModelworks
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 08:45:34 AM »

How did you take the photo of both your hands working on the model? (Let me guess: Tripod and ten second delay? Wife?) -- Russ

Well, the resident thong-clad cutie of course.... Grin

But in reality, you got it in one, tripod and ten second delay.

Paul

DaKra

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 09:46:55 AM »

Beautiful photos, too.   I thought the first model photo was one of your computer graphics.   

VectorCut.com
RoughboyModelworks
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 02:27:22 PM »

Well, this became an exercise in turning a lemon into lemonade. I was unhappy with the outcome of the salt treatment. I felt the salt crystals were too large (this is 1:48), too uniform in size and I had applied too many. So I blasted off the paint to redo these steps and in doing so, the corrugated aluminum ribs began lifting off the cooler. I hadn't been entirely satisfied with the original ribs. I felt the burnished flange at the top of the ribs was too wide and they also looked a little skewed, so I took the opportunity to remove the original and replace the piece of corrugated aluminum. I'm much happier with this version (although a little hard to see in this photo because of the salt), but not only does it look straight, but the burnished edge at the top of the corrugation is much smaller. I was also able to wrap the aluminum further round the bottom edge of the cooler.

Photo below shows the 2nd salt attempt. This time I ground up some of the salt crystals to get a wider range of sizes and shapes and applied them more sparingly than before. The second rust color was then sprayed.

This completes the base coats (following removal of the salt) in preparation for the hairspray treatment and red color coats.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:29:15 PM by Roughboy » Logged
Malachi Constant

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 03:28:28 PM »

Paul --

Looking ... well, crusty!  Grin  McCormack sea salt grinder (from the grocery) is a cheap, handy tool for generating salt in varying sizes ...

Glad I'm not the only one who has these experiences with the "quickie" projects ... look forward to the outcome.

Cheers,
Dallas

-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com
finescalerr
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 03:56:41 PM »

Why not just eat it? It currently looks like something out of a See's Candy box! -- ssuR
Craig_H
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 07:32:49 PM »

Paul,  Heres a couple cooler's 1/24 scale.... I did years ago. Never did paint the other one Sad

* models----- pop machines for Gas Station 013.jpg (131.76 KB, 640x480 - viewed 452 times.)
RoughboyModelworks
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 07:39:59 PM »

Very "cool" Craig. I particularly like the one that looks like an old washing machine... never seen that style before and I went through a lot of photos looking for reference shots for this one. While we're on the subject of coolers, do you happen to have a spare white coca-cola logo suitable for 1:48 in either dry transfer or decal? I could have sworn I had a couple spares, but I can't find them anywhere...  Angry

Yep, crusty rusty Dallas. Thanks for the tip. I just used a small mortar & pestle to smash up the salt crystals.

No thanks Russ, I'm trying to quit!  Wink

Paul
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 07:44:04 PM by Roughboy » Logged
Craig_H
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »

Paul,  Yes i have some decals you can have in 1/48...... PM me your address and ill get them out to you in the mail next week.       Craig
RoughboyModelworks
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 08:09:40 PM »

Thanks very much Craig... greatly appreciated. PM on its way to you.

Paul
Ken Hamilton

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 08:50:14 AM »

Love all your coolers, Paul.  Very nicely done!

Craig_H
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »

Ken,  I cant let paul take all the credit.......the 2 in 1/2 inch scale are one's i did Wink      Craig
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: