• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Foothill Model Works Flat Car Challenge

Started by marc_reusser, August 02, 2007, 09:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Those trucks are a model in and of themselves!
I am really looking forward to seeing the cars in person.
The gray on the flat really looks good, don't know if I'd paint it! (will see when I see it).
-Marty

Franck Tavernier

Awesome job Marc!

I am a crazy modeller, but you are even more crasy than me! ;D ;D ;D ;D

TRAINS1941

Marc

Sure glad you didn't leave this forum compleltely.  Those trucks are just outstanding actually the whole thing it should be a real pleasure to see this in Portland!  Big question are you going to answer questions or do we have to depend on Marty for this??

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's really not that special. The hardest part was just finding all the parts for the look, and figuring how to get all the diaparate materials together, so that they would hold and function.

Here is a pic of the trucks with the inside hung brakes after primer.

Now I just have to finish up some small details on some of the cars, and pack them up.

Final details such as remaining bolts and clamps, chains, chain hooks, binders, etc. will all be added after the convention during the painting and weathering process.

Jerry: I will not be going to Portland. I was planning to, had all my reservations, fees and rentals paid, but eventually came to the conclusion that there was really no reason for me to go (I hate the layout tours...and don't care for ayouts in general, and can't stand being packed into small rooms with people that take up way more than their "allotted" space, and that really need to shower once a day but don't realize it, just to listen to what are mostly fairly inane and useless "clinics")....the only thing of interest is usually the vendors......and the bar......and just to see that, the time and money was better spent on other pursiuts.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Those things are friggin AWESOME!
The little details abound really make these impressive.
Too bad most of it will be lost underneath and hard to see.
How about making a mold and popping out about a dozen!
Glad these will be on display.
I still have so much to learn...............
-Marty

marc_reusser

Shucks..thanks....

It really was nothing. (esp. compared to some of the stuff you have been cobbling together of late)

I think there was more "hurry-up-and-get-it-done" involved than anything else.....

Marc

M-Works

finescalerr

Forget the car; just enter the trucks in a contest. -- Russ

P.S.: There are three reasons to attend a convention. First the model contest. Second a few vendors. Third, and most importantly, the bar.

Unfortunately model contests now tend to be less inspirational than they once were but most shows have at least half a dozen good entries.

The prizes sometimes fail to reward the best models. Examples? Mic Greenberg went home without a prize three years ago in Detroit. Chuck Doan entered two masterpieces in Santa Clara and went home without a mention. Mal Ferrell scratchbuilt a very nice brass Shay but the winner had put hideous weathering, antlers, and chains on a Bachmann Shay and walked off with a blue ribbon.

I buy little from vendors but rarely have I failed to order a cognac from the bar. It's often a necessity after finding out who won the model contest ....

lab-dad

I am looking forward to raising a few in the bar with you this year Unc. (you too Younger)
First ones on me.
-Marty

TRAINS1941

Greetings everyone!

God I thought the bar came first!

Yes in Portland, Me.  there was a Grist Mill that came home without anything also.  But he is back with vengeance's this year.  "CRITTERS" rule.

Yes Marc, Russ is right enter the trucks.  To bad your not going to be there between me and Marty you could have gotten half loaded and forgot about all the other people.  Well some year I'm sure will meet until then just keep the models and parts coming.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

Yep, it would have been fun to get together with all you guys....that was really my main and only reason for going (aside from supporting Jerry Kitt's effort)........but I really did come to the realization that it was an expensive trip to the bar....especially factoring in days away from the office/work.

And after seeing Marty's entry into the Gas-Mech category of the contest, there was no reason for me to try and bring my puny critter.....thanks, but I can suffer humilitaion and defeat at home just as well ;) ;D ;D

I hope you guys have a great time.

Marc

M-Works

morgan Hill models

Yea marc, I had you penciled in to work my table on Fri. from 6:00pm - 10:00pm. I needed your help to push the stockcar sales!! ;D
-Jon

marc_reusser

Ooooh...yeah Jon....good marketing strategy.....I'm such a "people person"  ;D ;D ;D.

I did that for LID at the last convention I attended..... I actually kind of enjoyed it.....but then nobody knew who I was so that might have helped ;D

I am sorry I will miss seeing you and getting to chat. I hope everything goes well for you.

Marc

M-Works

finescalerr

Jon, your stock car (as Marc designed and built it) will appear in the December Modelers' Annual. It should sell itself. But if you need help alienating, insulting, and aggravating people, I'll volunteer to replace Marc. Unless I'm giving a clinic .... -- Russ

morgan Hill models

Russ,
you are welcome to "hang out  :o " at my table as much as you like. I would enjoy the company!
-Jon