• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Coal Breaker in Sketchup and Kerkythea

Started by eTraxx, August 20, 2010, 02:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

I'm playing with a On30 module - Beehive Coke Ovens, a Coal Breaker and washer. I used some basic dimensions for the rollers (15" dia x 20" long) with a grainy photo of a Link-Belt Coal Breaker to model a free-lanced version in Sketchup. I used Kerkythea, a free renderer to produce these two images. Kerkythea has the ability to produce much more realistic images but I'm only doing this to produce plans so I can construct the sucker. The images are just for fun .. thought I would share. The first one is just the native export from Sketchup. The other two are rendered in a very simple Kerkythea

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

JohnP

The raised lettering looks great in the Kerkythea render. Make the parts into a correct solid file and send them to PAP. Wait a few days, and assemble like a kit. Easy!

Nice work,
John
John Palecki

RoughboyModelworks

eTraxx

Ok. Let me preface this by saying that on Saturday .. O-Beer-Thirty started early ......

After sleeping on it I wasn't completely happy with the Coal Breaker. The way the frame went together didn't make sense mechanically .. couple of other thing so I re-modeled it. I bumped it up to imitate the Link-Belt model next in size, one with a 18" dia roller x 24" long. I like the 'mechanical' bit in ref to the frame much better .. makes logical sense now. I got carried away a bit after a couple of beers and made her as she would have appeared as just from the factory .. all nice and shiny and colorful. (In my world at least). This time I used a different Render .. one called Shaderlight. I downloaded it last month I think .. they were/are trying to push their ShaderPRO .. it may still be available as a free download. Think it came out pretty well for a free program.

Ed Traxler

RoughboyModelworks

Much better Ed... for a free application it does quite a decent job.

Paul

eTraxx

Quote from: Roughboy on August 21, 2010, 10:35:20 PM
Much better Ed... or a free application it does quite a decent job.

Paul

Yep. I just 'tossed' that in as it was done for fun. This morning I was looking at Shapeways .. amusing myself a bit. I'm quite aware that the resolution is very coarse compared to what Print a Part produces but since I want to reproduce several items as 'cast iron' I wanted to see just HOW rough the parts would be (just for general idea).

Here's a 'foot' from my Coal Breaker. This is actually too 'fine' .. with walls of 1/2" (.010" in O scale). I am guessing that when this was produced at the turn of the century they would have been cast iron.

Looking on the Shapeways site, their 'fine detail' parts have a minimum resolution of .2mm with a minimum wall thickness of 1mm. The 'foot' on the left was modified to reflect this .. quite fat poor thing. The one on the right was modified to make the walls 1" (.020" in O scale) to better represent what I think a cast iron version would have been more likely to have for wall thickness.

The minimum resolution for the Shapeways parts is as I said, .2mm or .008 in. That scales to about 3/8 in. Thinking it might work for (in 1:48) for producing something with a natural heavy texture such as the stone face of a beehive oven which (other then the brick bits) was stone with thick mortar joints.
Ed Traxler

finescalerr

I really need to get up to speed on these programs. I downloaded the Shaderlight beta program and put it in the folder with SketchUp. I guess my big fall/winter project will be to become somewhat proficient with these programs. And, of course, to do some hands-on modeling. Thanks for the updates and info. -- Russ

okiecrip

ed is the man. has been helping me with my on30 mods.
gary wise