• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/43 Diorama

Started by james_coldicott, July 20, 2010, 03:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacq01

James,

the sawmill diorama will feature "cut through" buildings to show the interiors of the boiler- and engine house with on the other site of the dio a cut through machine room of the workshop. This offers plenty of possiblities to show the insides.
  Chuck's workshop is open, but not of the cut through type  :D :D
  Another good example is the boiler shop of the Beachley Dock layout.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

james_coldicott

Ed,

thanks for the pic- some very interesting bricklaying in that wall- You'd get your hands slapped for placing bricks like that these days! Nice shutter too- I find buildings of a certain age regularly used this system of joist support and roof truss support- in the UK the joists were often built in to brickwork as the wall went up. The filled area above the joist pockets may be from installing or removing the joists/ beams or indicate that a larger size beam was once in each location. These days joist hangers or concrete pads for joists are standard building practice as Philip rightly highlights in his message. It should be noted that floor joists have a different interaction with a building compared to roof trusses or rafters.

Jacq,

been following your sawmill diorama- look forward to seeing the engine and boiler house- very inspiring. Do you have a link to Beachley Dock? I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks

James

jacq01

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

james_coldicott

Hi All,

so, not part of this project but on the same theme of unfinished models I'm adding some pics here of some trucks for an unfinished Proto 48/ On3 dual gauge project that is languishing in my loft. These trucks are for a tank car I started scratchbuilding- will send pics of the tank when I find it! These are Proto 48 San Juan Car Co archbars with my usual mix of oil paint washes and dry brushing/ Bragdon Powders/ Oil paint 'gloop' on the wheels. Must get around to finishing the tank car body one day too!

James

james_coldicott

Square on...

james_coldicott

last one...

finescalerr

Now we know why you are an artist. -- Russ