• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bicycle for dioramas.

Started by 5thwheel, September 09, 2012, 03:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5thwheel

I was at a huge antique sale which takes up most of the small town's streets.  Found this bike which looks it belongs in a diorama of some kind.  It is not too old maybe from the fifties or sixties. I'm not too sure of the sign as the brackets don't look too old.  They are aluminum but not sure of the screws.

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

finescalerr

It could be a late 'forties bike and somebody added the sign five or ten years later. Aluminum was very hi-tech for bicycle components even in the early '60s and you found it only on professional racing machines. Almost nobody seems to model bicycles and that one has a lot of character. -- Russ

5thwheel

Quote from: finescalerr on September 10, 2012, 12:39:36 AM
Almost nobody seems to model bicycles and that one has a lot of character. -- Russ

As soon as I saw the bike I thought of Junior's former black smith shop.  I am not into dioramas any more (have way too much to do already) as I am very limited in space. I just like to post things like that here thinking some one might like to use the idea.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Junior

That´s a great bike and could be a neat little project! Those are the kind of pictures we like to see here  :). Thanks for posting!

Anders

Geoff Ringle

Nice bike, it got my curiosity up... I didn't go too deep into the research, but it appears that the Murray Monterey was made with fenders mid 70's until the mid 80's.  Without fenders lasted a little longer.  The modernish Monterey logo was the tip off. 

By the way, if you find a bike with a skip-tooth chain you know you have a real pre-war item... they can be worth it just for the drive chain parts.

SDFarmer

When I saw this bike and its sign, it kind of rung a bell. "Wing Chong's Market" hmmm what was that? Did a little bit of research and there it was. How about this... Wing Chong's market was the name of market that was across the street from the "Lab" in John Steinbeck's Cannery Row. It still exits today. Same place, same name. Where did you see this bike? Is it Wng Chong's delivery bike? Or a prop? Or...

1-32

funny i have been looking for model bikes on the net,something retro in a scale larger than 1-32.they are hard to find can anybody help?
i am a very keen bike rider and belong to a group that collects pictures of cargo bikes you know the ones -old bike, piled high with boxes full of chickens or produce for the market.the rider is weather beaten ready for anything.what a great model it would make in 1-22 scale or arounds.
regards kim

o-boy

detail_stymied

one of my favorite, full of inspiration, read every two years, Steinbeck stories.
s.e. charles